How long until I know what gender my ducks are?

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Hi everyone!

I have 2 ducks. I got them like the first week in march and they were like 2- 3 weeks old then. More two then 3. I dont see a drake feather yet and I have never had ducks so I dont know if I have two boys or two girls! I have tried listening for raspy tones. They do let out loud quacks but I just want to know I will be getting eggs and if I need to get a little boy.

What age do they start laying?

Thanks!
smile.png

Depends a little bit on the breed, with older ones maturing, in general, a little later than bantam or small breeds.

By three weeks, my runners were beginning to peep-honk, and soon were quacking (actually, it is more like, "ah AH ah ah" but I digress.

You do not need a drake for eggs, and again, smaller breeds may start laying as early as 16 weeks (mine were from 16 to 20 weeks to get started). When they start playing hop on top, you may be about a month away from eggs, if they are like my runners.

I know I dont need a drake for eggs, I just want fertile eggs.
lol.png

But they are like 4 months Im guessing so should they be playing hop on top? Also will hens do it to other hens without a drake being around?

Sorry Ive only had chickens.

Yes ducks will do same sex relations. What breed of ducks do you have?
Well Im not exactly sure. I need to get some new pictures.

I think from what people have said is I have a Cayuga and a Swedish. But my swedish is mostly gray with black and white. So I dont really know.

Well Im not exactly sure. I need to get some new pictures.

I think from what people have said is I have a Cayuga and a Swedish. But my swedish is mostly gray with black and white. So I dont really know.
Hi Tripp, yes we need to see pics of your ducks, it's been a while.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom