*How long until little roos becomethe "boss"???**

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Hi!!

Ok well my problem is I have a 3 month old BB red bantam hen and a 2 month old BB red Roo. He is smaller than her of course he still peeps. I have a 1 month old BB red hen and they arent accepting her! He and her run over and peck her any chance they get...

When will he start to take up for her and be the "Main Man"??

I have the little one still in my house.....
barnie.gif

Not for a while, but the little breeds seem to mature faster. I wouldn't expect a big change for 6 to 8 weeks yet.

mine are 6 months old and just started to show the girls whos boss. id say when they start to crow is when they assurt themselves as alfa.

My 16-week EE boy looks and sounds like a rooster and sometimes he even acts like one but my dominant hen is not submissive to him yet AT ALL. She was in charge in the brooder box and is reluctant to give it up. In fact, I picked her up today and gave her a thorough inspection because I got worried she might be a late-blooming cockerel! Nope, all indications are that she's just a bossy little pullet. I've noticed that the apparent second pullet in charge also acts a bit like a cockerel at times (perching above the group while they're ranging and flapping her wings like she's in charge). So, he is still working to take over the lead role and I see him challenging his ladies as often as he's attempting to mate them. I think it's a confusing time for a young guy.

My roo might have trouble asserting himself over my top hen. He challenges her regularly and she either ignores him, or kicks his butt. He is 3 months, she is 4 months.

She also pushes him off the ramp when I let them out 'cause he's in her way
gig.gif

My 6 week old Quail D'Anver has been acting like the "boss" since day 1. He was always the leader of the bunch, fearless, the first to check things out, seemed to watch over the 4 chicks, the first to roost, the first to chest bump the others, and the first to fly out of the brooder onto my shoulder. It could be the breed, as I've heard that D'Anver roos are little guys with BIG personalities.

He just started making different noises yesterday, and I think he's going to be crowing soon! Since the brooder is in our basement, maybe the crowing with get DH to start building my chicken coop SOON!!

Quote:
They do mature fast! My BB red OEGB roo started crowing at 5 weeks of age! Even earlier than the notoriously early maturing Egyptian roo, who was 6-7 weeks.
I expect at 8-9 weeks, if you introduce them slowly, with plenty of space and the younger one on the other side of a fence for awhile, that he'll fall in love with her shortly.

Back
Top Bottom