How Long Until New Flockmates are Accepted?

WA_RN

Songster
May 11, 2020
NW WA
I'm currently in the process of integrating six 9 week old pullets into my small flock of four 2 year olds. We've been doing slow intros of the pullets in a separated area where they can see each other when outside and we've partitioned off a section of the inside of the coop that only the pullets can get in and out of with their food and water for now. Today we graduated to the pullets going into the other side by themselves and down the ramp into the run and outside. They are also checking out the feeders and waterers out in the run. Nobody seems to care much about the new additions except my Buff Orpington Daphne who is lowest in the pecking order and she chases them every chance she gets and delivers some hard pecks on their backs.

For those who have added new flock members, how long did it take for the newbies to be fully accepted? Will they ever free range together or should I expect both groups to just range separately for some time? Will they just naturally integrate eventually?

They will probably become one flock when the new pullets start to lay.

As long as no significant blood is shed things should be fine. :)
x2. It's a hormonal thing. Until then, the younger birds will remain in a sub-flock, and the adults will remain in a sub-flock, but as long as no one gets picked on to the point of injury or excluded from eating/drinking, I'd consider it a success.

x2. It's a hormonal thing. Until then, the younger birds will remain in a sub-flock, and the adults will remain in a sub-flock, but as long as no one gets picked on to the point of injury or excluded from eating/drinking, I'd consider it a success.

It's not much different than humans.

Kids and teens don't hang out with the adults much until they're old enough to get jobs and start families. :D

For those who have added new flock members, how long did it take for the newbies to be fully accepted? Will they ever free range together or should I expect both groups to just range separately for some time? Will they just naturally integrate eventually?
You should expect both groups to range seperately for some time.
This is more likely to be apparent for free range groups than it is for contained groups.
It's not a problem and perfectly natural. The newcomers are likely to identify with the other newcomers, particularly if they are all the same breed and have all arrived together.
The two groups may never integrate in the true sense of the word. Over a long period of time (generations) one group assimilates the other through breeding and friendships and deaths.

Same happening here. Lowest in the pecking order (almost 2 yrs old) has been chasing the younger pullets. She used to chase the cockerel too, but he mounted her recently. They are now 15.5 wks.

Back
Top Bottom