How long until no longer hatchable

Jan 12, 2021
I have been in the process of hatching a mix of baby silkies/bantams... I've had 8 of 11 hatch since yesterday around noon. Those ones were obviously hatching since they had pipped and some were cheeping. I have three eggs left and I haven't seen any pips yet. However, one egg is cracked slightly... I can't tell if it is hatching now, but the crack wasnt there yesterday. When should I candle them? (It's currently day 20) At what point do I have to admit they're never going to hatch and throw them away ☹️?

I've had a few hatches drag on for 48 hours from when the first one hatched until the last one hatched. Sounds like it's been half that for you. I'd wait at least another day.

You are not yet to day 21, the traditional time for chicken eggs to hatch. You may want to confirm your thermometer is reading correctly, for the majority of them to hatch that early your incubator may be a bit warm. But my eggs typically hatch early whether in my incubator or under a broody. I think that's due to heredity in my flock. Some eggs can hatch earlier or later than others. That can lead to frustration like you are experiencing.

That cracked egg probably has a chick inside. That chick may not be strong enough to hatch or it may be resting. I'd give it time.

If it's all dark and you can't really see anything it at least means it's fully developed, some times you can still see some veins between the main part and the part with air at the wide end (can't think what it's called right now)
Also if it's internally piped you should be able to see it as a triangular shadow in the empty part. However I've found that to be hard to see.

Back
Top Bottom