How long until scalped quail can be reintroduced?

dand883

Chirping
Jan 7, 2020
So my newer chicks just hit 6 weeks old and one of the males went ballistic and has scalped two others. I separated the injured birds to my brooder, the aggressive male and a couple other males who had noticeable foam went to holding for freezer camp and the one remaining male and 4 (i think females) together.

Once the two injured birds heal i plan to reintroduce them back and eventually in with our 7 older birds.

How long does it typically take for them to heal enough that they can be reintroduced and not have any issues besides the normal new bird into a flock issues?

You can reintroduce them as soon as the wound is properly scabbed over. You want to keep an eye on them because how well they are received depends on the birds. They all have different personalities.

You can reintroduce them as soon as the wound is properly scabbed over. You want to keep an eye on them because how well they are received depends on the birds. They all have different personalities.
Thanks, I assumed i would need to wait for it to heal over and feathers to start regrowing

Are the injured quail males or females? If they're males I wouldn't put them back in.
I can't say with any certainty yet, they're only 6 weeks, so there's been a few obvious males, but i have a hard time telling the difference if there's not bulge/foam yet or they're not laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom