How long will a hawk stick around??

In Germany goshawks and other birds of prey are protected species. They are sedentary birds where I live and will attack all kinds of poultry year round.

Sadly, there are a lot of poultry people that kill them whenever they have the opportunity, leave them entangled when caught in the netting and even set traps, never minding the laws of nature and environmental protection.

We like our goshawks and the pair of red kites too that nest in an old oak tree only about 35 meters from our house.
They are beautiful birds too!
As nicely as I can say this, showing the picture you did here In the US would get you in big trouble regardless of your intentions ( which in your case I believe are very honorable in educating not killing). Let’s just say I was trying to warn people here not to do what you did as the repercussions are far greater. I have friends in wildlife law enforcement And one of them Arrested, charged, assisted prosecution, and won a 6 month sentence and $5,000 Fine for Someone possessing owl feathers And feet from a roadkill Barred Owl. They didn’t kill it, didn’t know the pretty feathers were illegal, And were shocked when cops showed up because they posted Picts on the internet But it didn’t keep them from being charged. Here my problems are red tailed hawks which are responsible For killing 2 Full grown black jersey giants, 2 speck Sussex, a light brahama and Injuring 1 New Hampshire red On our free range girls.

They are beautiful birds too!
As nicely as I can say this, showing the picture you did here In the US would get you in big trouble regardless of your intentions ( which in your case I believe are very honorable in educating not killing). Let’s just say I was trying to warn people here not to do what you did as the repercussions are far greater. I have friends in wildlife law enforcement And one of them Arrested, charged, assisted prosecution, and won a 6 month sentence and $5,000 Fine for Someone possessing owl feathers And feet from a roadkill Barred Owl. They didn’t kill it, didn’t know the pretty feathers were illegal, And were shocked when cops showed up because they posted Picts on the internet But it didn’t keep them from being charged. Here my problems are red tailed hawks which are responsible For killing 2 Full grown black jersey giants, 2 speck Sussex, a light brahama and Injuring 1 New Hampshire red On our free range girls.

Very strange. But obviously the legislative authority are quite out of touch with reality and often tend to go overboard carrying the rather sensible approach to excess.

Red tailed hawks are very beautiful and strong birds. Do they live in your area or are they rather migratory? And how do you protect your chickens/poultry?

Thank you so much for replying. I was worried this would be the answer :hitas much as they like having the whole yard to themselves, if I have to build a run I will do that. I wasn’t as attached to the cochin chick as I am to my silkies, I don’t know what I would do if I lost one.
Again, thanks so much for the advice
Hawks don’t over hunt their favorite areas. That would discourage their prey. So the hawks have a habit of staying away for a while then returning when their prey have the impression that the coast is clear.

Very strange. But obviously the legislative authority are quite out of touch with reality and often tend to go overboard carrying the rather sensible approach to excess.

Red tailed hawks are very beautiful and strong birds. Do they live in your area or are they rather migratory? And how do you protect your chickens/poultry?
Part of you read is possibly a little overboard. I have had to handle raptors in a manner similar to what you depict, although only enough to extract them from a netting, pen or trap set for something else. I am in north America.

The real problem in this thread is the breeds selected for free-range keeping. They are small and not terribly alert. Pen them appropriately or get more involved with repelling the raptors. Former is likely the better approach for OP.

Here we have many hawks, and the ones who seem to be the (occasional) chicken predators are the Cooper's hawks. Over time, raptors have been our least important chicken killers! We do have trees and shrubs for cover, and once there is an attack, there's no free ranging for two to four weeks.
Mary

They are and I admire them greatly but if I catch one setting in my Oaks adjacent to our free range area I will employ means to make them leave. We actually have both red shouldered and Red tailed hawks and like our Canadian Geese, we have a resident population who are born, grow, breed, raise young, and die right here and we have some that breed in the upper reaches of the US and Southern Canada and migrate down for the winter and back up in the spring. I have been successful for a couple of years with several varied methods including shooting Firearms and noise makers in close proximity, some netted open areas where they cant swoop down from on high, Metal Poles like you hang garden flags on scattered but hanging with of all things 5-8 ft pieces of rope Christmas Garland (the silver and gold sparkling kind) that blow in the wind and deter them and some other methods I wont divulge in a public forum :plbb.
Hawks don’t over hunt their favorite areas. That would discourage their prey. So the hawks have a habit of staying away for a while then returning when their prey have the impression that the coast is clear.
I have lots of food plots planted for rabbits and deer and as a result I have rats and Mice as well as rabbits and if I grow them/feed them lots of rodents they have generally left my chicks alone. But this area is 1/4 mile from our chickens.
Part of you read is possibly a little overboard. I have had to handle raptors in a manner similar to what you depict, although only enough to extract them from a netting, pen or trap set for something else. I am in north America.
It absolutely depends on who wants to make an issue and how bad. I am not gonna say I haven't had a "friend" who removed a bird from a #3 jaw set for Coyote or wrapped up an Osprey in my boat who grabbed my fish and lure but I wouldn't post pics of it. I wouldn't do @LaFleche did without at least calling DNR or a licensed Raptor rescue center prior to laying hands as I would want them to tell me they aren't gonna do their job and I would not put picts out. I just wanted folks to be aware of repercussions if they did. I don't judge or even disagree with what was done when needed just didn't want someone to get jammed up because they didn't know ( and in the everything on Facebook live era). The same way I have driven in excess of 130 MPH in my old muscle car but there ain't no video or live stream of it and my cop buddies are gonna have to catch me first:weeI'm kidding but not really. Hell I raced NC State Trooper on a closed road course when they got new Chargers but again no video and plausible deniability since he was a driving instructor at the time.
Here we have many hawks, and the ones who seem to be the (occasional) chicken predators are the Cooper's hawks. Over time, raptors have been our least important chicken killers! We do have trees and shrubs for cover, and once there is an attack, there's no free ranging for two to four weeks.
Mary
I will agree to that statement as a roaming collarless dogs, coyotes and foxes have claimed more of ours but those get shot on sight no warning no questions if they are after my livestock. I have lots of woods and trees and shrubs around my house and chicken areas.

We are getting ridiculous about dealing with raptors. If chicken owner feels comfortable and able to remove raptor from confining environment entered while going after stock, then do so. Posting gives insight on how to do similar. We are wasting tax paid resources and the time of professionals doing the silly things. If your too extreme, which you are, then you give the kill all folks more ammunition to justify being contrary and you cannot stop them all, not even close. You are pushing too hard making the SSS approach more attractive, in part to tick you off.

We need to start trying to develop a consensus that is not based on legal threats.

We are getting ridiculous about dealing with raptors. If chicken owner feels comfortable and able to remove raptor from confining environment entered while going after stock, then do so. Posting gives insight on how to do similar. We are wasting tax paid resources and the time of professionals doing the silly things. If your too extreme, which you are, then you give the kill all folks more ammunition to justify being contrary and you cannot stop them all, not even close. You are pushing too hard making the SSS approach more attractive, in part to tick you off.

We need to start trying to develop a consensus that is not based on legal threats.
Not sure if this is directed at me personally or just at the system in general so I'm a bit confused but don't want to misunderstand your comment.

Not sure if this is directed at me personally or just at the system in general so I'm a bit confused but don't want to misunderstand your comment.
Directed directly at you. It is not so much a comment. It comes from someone that works with and around wildlife and must deal with the people that can have conflicts with those same resources. If I were to adopt your approach, then I could get nothing done and have everyone not liking me much, plus wildlife would be more likely to be persecuted.

Back
Top Bottom