How long will a hawk stick around??

More roosters? How many hens will you have? Things could get very 'interesting' out there!
Mary
I have 6 hens at the moment, but am planning on more! Also, I have two separate coops so they are not too few hens with roosters, even though the young roos have not reached sexual maturity yet

I recently was able to confirm that 2 of my 4 young silkies are also roosters, so I’m hoping that 3 roos watching my flock will make a difference. Thank you for your feedback!
Silkies are very poor choices for free-range keeping. They are typically not standard sized, thus too small. They have limited visual acuity and limited physical ability owing to their feathering. They are not likely to be effective.

Based on the description of hawk behavior in your original posts, you are dealing with a Coopers Hawk. That is the hawk I manage against using adult, fully-feathered, standard-sized, normally feathered roosters.

Silkies are very poor choices for free-range keeping. They are typically not standard sized, thus too small. They have limited visual acuity and limited physical ability owing to their feathering. They are not likely to be effective.

Based on the description of hawk behavior in your original posts, you are dealing with a Coopers Hawk. That is the hawk I manage against using adult, fully-feathered, standard-sized, normally feathered roosters.

I understand that silkies are not the best choice for free ranging, I have heard this from a lot of people.
I was aware before getting them that they are not the smartest, nor the strongest breed of chicken. I wanted them only for pets, and to watch them raise chicks and watch my little flock grow.
My silkies are not hatchery quality however and have excellent vision. Like I’ve said, we are in front of a busy car wash, and on top of that our front yard is extremely small (and is about to get smaller when they expand the highway).
Out of the 1 and 1/2 years I have had my silkies, this is the first hawk trouble I have had, and it was a chick that was carried away. Knowing hawks are very precise, I believe it knew the chick would be a quick and easy pick. I truly believe it would have had a harder time with one of my adult silkies, despite their shortcomings compared to large fowl.
I’ve said all that to say that, though I value you and everyone else’s feedback, I plan to continue letting my silkies free range. I have learned a lot, and from now on I will NEVER let momma hens out in the open with their babies again unless I am standing nearby, and my silkies will always be penned up when I am not at home. They also have 2 coops to seek shelter in, and many bushes and trees to hide beneath. I still have a lot to learn, but that’s part of owning chickens, and I know I can count on the BYC community to answer any questions or concerns I may have.
I’ll have to come to terms with the fact that hawks and other predators are just part of it if you want to let chickens free range, big or small. I believe my birds are a lot happier being able to roam the yard and not being cooped up, so I will be extra careful about protecting them from now on while still letting them wander out in the open.
Thank you for your input all the same :)

I understand that silkies are not the best choice for free ranging, I have heard this from a lot of people.
I was aware before getting them that they are not the smartest, nor the strongest breed of chicken. I wanted them only for pets, and to watch them raise chicks and watch my little flock grow.
My silkies are not hatchery quality however and have excellent vision. Like I’ve said, we are in front of a busy car wash, and on top of that our front yard is extremely small (and is about to get smaller when they expand the highway).
Out of the 1 and 1/2 years I have had my silkies, this is the first hawk trouble I have had, and it was a chick that was carried away. Knowing hawks are very precise, I believe it knew the chick would be a quick and easy pick. I truly believe it would have had a harder time with one of my adult silkies, despite their shortcomings compared to large fowl.
I’ve said all that to say that, though I value you and everyone else’s feedback, I plan to continue letting my silkies free range. I have learned a lot, and from now on I will NEVER let momma hens out in the open with their babies again unless I am standing nearby, and my silkies will always be penned up when I am not at home. They also have 2 coops to seek shelter in, and many bushes and trees to hide beneath. I still have a lot to learn, but that’s part of owning chickens, and I know I can count on the BYC community to answer any questions or concerns I may have.
I’ll have to come to terms with the fact that hawks and other predators are just part of it if you want to let chickens free range, big or small. I believe my birds are a lot happier being able to roam the yard and not being cooped up, so I will be extra careful about protecting them from now on while still letting them wander out in the open.
Thank you for your input all the same :)
I write based on experience. My preference also is to have chickens free-range, but there are times when you have to adapt to conditions, especially with chickens bred for confinement in predator rich settings. You will thus have to learn a path all ready well worn through loosing a lot of chickens. You will learn the predators have little issue operating close to human activity.

I write based on experience. My preference also is to have chickens free-range, but there are times when you have to adapt to conditions, especially with chickens bred for confinement in predator rich settings. You will thus have to learn a path all ready well worn through loosing a lot of chickens. You will learn the predators have little issue operating close to human activity.
thank you for your concern, really, but I think I’ll take my chances.

When you really have an interest in keeping chickens free-range, look me up. I do it properly. There are many ways to do it properly. First you start with open eyes and open mind.
When you really have an interest in keeping chickens free-range, look me up. I do it properly. There are many ways to do it properly. First you start with open eyes and open mind.
... tempting, but no thanks. I really don’t want to start an argument, but for a person with an ‘open mind’ you seem pretty set in your ways yourself :confused:
I choose to learn through experience, but I will take others’ advice when I can. Truly, I appreciate everyone trying to help, but I want to do everything I can to allow my birds to free range. My mind is not closed to other options, I just think I can prevent several more attacks on my adult chickens while not keeping them in captivity all day.
But I’m glad you have a found a way that works for you! :)

Controversial? My birds come first...right after my dogs. Fortunately the dogs think the chickens belong to them and would kill to protect them. I honestly don't know that I could keep chickens without all the help provided by the dogs.

Controversial? My birds come first...right after my dogs. Fortunately the dogs think the chickens belong to them and would kill to protect them. I honestly don't know that I could keep chickens without all the help provided by the dogs.
If we ever got more property (or possibly when I move out and have my own house and flock) I would love to have some good dogs to protect my birds. I think that is an amazing idea... if you don’t mind my asking, what kind of dogs have you got, or what do you think would be the best kind to have around chickens? I’ve never had any before, only cats

Back
Top Bottom