How long will a hen "mother" her brood?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Redhead Rae, Dec 5, 2017.

1. dogkahuna

dogkahuna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Southworth, WA
    We have a BR who was allowed to set clutches two years in a row. She looked after the first brood for 12 weeks and the second 5 weeks. (Maybe she was thinking 'been there, done that'.)

Bonniebooboo and Redhead Rae like this.
  2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Thanks for clarifying. I was assuming she wasn't laying, based on the small, pinkish comb in the photo that shows her with the 7-week old chicks. It sounds like she's a fantastic mom! A good broody is worth her weight in gold!.

Bonniebooboo and Redhead Rae like this.
  3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    That's what I was concerned about when one of my hens stopped mothering her chicks when they were only 3 weeks old. But she had already integrated them into the flock, so they did fine on their own. They just kind of hung out together in their own little clan within the larger flock.

Bonniebooboo and chuckachucka like this.
  4. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere! Premium Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I think it was the light that made her comb look like that, it was early evening and the sun had gone behind the hills.

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. ScottKelly1974

ScottKelly1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2016
    Colorado
    My BO hen went broody this summer. Today was her first egg since then. As for the chicks. I bought some hatching eggs for her to sit on since I did not have a rooster. They hatched the first weekend of August. About three month a cat got in and lost the fight with the mother hen. About a month ago, some of the chicks began sleeping on the perch. I started moving the rest there, and now I only have one that wants to sleep on the next boxes. The rest have been going to the sleeping perches on their own since about 14 - 16 weeks old. Three are roosters and one tried to mate with the BO hen last week. The rest are hens and I expect they will begin laying eggs sometime this month.

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Chicken Obsessed

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    dawnacus 433.jpg This little hen hatched out a few batches of chicks in the summer, she seemed to enjoy the sitting on the eggs more than the raising of the chicks.

7. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.
    Yep. She's so good at protecting the babies, but that also means she is vicious to my other chickens until the babies grow up! You should see my rooster running scared when she's mad. :)

8. Rubysword

Rubysword Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2017
    USMA, NY
    Awwww! So many cute chcken pics! I'm noping Dove, our chocolate orpington, will go broody, but(don't tell her I said this) she's kind of... Special :p. She kinda marches to the beat of her own drum. Don't get me wrong, I love the little stinker, but she sometimes is hilariously wierd. E.g: Laying her egg wherever she happens to be instead of in the nesting box.

9. chuckachucka

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.
    That's funny because my favourite broody always seems like she is sitting on the nest under sufferance and can't wait for the babies to hatch out already. This summer/autumn Treacle the Asil sat for seven weeks after two batches of eggs from ebay didn't develop and she would look at me like 'Don't ask me what I'm doing here. Ask my hormones.'

10. chuckachucka

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.
    This is Treacle with her first, second, and now third brood of chicks:

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by