How long will a hen "mother" her brood?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Redhead Rae, Dec 5, 2017.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    sweet.

Bonniebooboo, chonsey and rjohns39 like this.
  2. Playford Flats Farm

Playford Flats Farm In the Brooder

Dec 7, 2017
    My ameraucana/Orpington mix is still mothering her babies who are now about four months old. I also just had a black sex link abandon and try to kill all of her babies when they were three weeks old. It really depends on the hen and the breed.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    That is scary, I had not had that happen except that hen that didn't want to raise a duck.

Bonniebooboo and rjohns39 like this.
  4. Rubysword

Rubysword Crowing

Apr 19, 2017
    USMA, NY
    Quick, off topic question: What color eggs does your orpington/ameraucana mix lay, @Playford Flats Farm?

5. In my opinion the time of year that the brood hatched has a bearing on the amount of time that a hen devotes to her chicks.

rebrascora likes this.
  6. Playford Flats Farm

Playford Flats Farm In the Brooder

Dec 7, 2017
    She lays cream/very light brown coloured eggs

Bonniebooboo and Ursuline Chick like this.
  7. We gave Bertha, our broody Australorp, four chicks to raise last summer, and she mothered them till somewhere around 12-14 weeks old. To this day (chicks are 17 weeks old), she still hangs around with them instead of the other biddies that she was raised with! One of her babies, Little Wing (a silver laced wyandotte pullet) is a huge mama's girl, and follows Bertha all the time, eats with her, sleeps with her, even occasionally tries to get underneath her. For the most part, Bertha still puts up with it, though I've seen her peck Little Wing a few times when she gets too demanding. It's so funny to watch, because Little Wing is almost as big as mama now, but still acts like a baby. :gig

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I had an old english bantam that hatched out a wyandotte rooster. by about 4 weeks he was bigger than she was, and even when he was grown would walk around her talking in a baby voice. He also always expected her to feed him. For a long time I didn't think he was a rooster, because he always acted like a baby.

9. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere! Premium Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Great, now I have to get a couple bantam hens so I can have them hatch out huge Delawares and Dark Cornish.

chickmom3941 and rjohns39 like this.
  10. pamonarch

pamonarch Songster

Aug 19, 2017
    Wellsboro, PA
    awwwwwwwwwwww....such a good mama! i want to try this come spring..our neighbor has a rooster, so maybe he will visit my girls in spring:)..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by