How long will a hen "mother" her brood?

Pics

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I have a BO that hatched 10 chicks for me 10.5 weeks ago. I thought they weaned their chicks around 7 weeks, but she is still a very loving, attentive mother to them. She still sleeps with them, protects them from older birds, finds food for them, etc.

This pic was taken when they were 7 weeks, but is emblematic of how well she cares for them. If you look closely you can see all 10 babies
Mama warming 7w babies.jpg

I have a BO that hatched 10 chicks for me 10.5 weeks ago. I thought they weaned their chicks around 7 weeks, but she is still a very loving, attentive mother to them. She still sleeps with them, protects them from older birds, finds food for them, etc.

This pic was taken when they were 7 weeks, but is emblematic of how well she cares for them. If you look closely you can see all 10 babies
View attachment 1203133

I'm not sure, but that picture is adorable! :love

Depends on the hen. Seven to eight weeks is normal, and I had one hen abandon hers at four weeks, and of course, silkies will sit with the chicks as long as the chicks will sit with them. It's extremely varaiable.

To quote someone's signature (and I don't remember whose) "Chickens don't read the books."

Good hen. You must be so proud.

Depends on the hen. Seven to eight weeks is normal, and I had one hen abandon hers at four weeks, and of course, silkies will sit with the chicks as long as the chicks will sit with them. It's extremely varaiable.

To quote someone's signature (and I don't remember whose) "Chickens don't read the books."

Good hen. You must be so proud.
I am. I'm glad I took a chance on her. She only hatched 1/30 of this year and was only 6-7 months when she went broody. I definitely want to hatch some of her eggs. I want as many broodies as possible. Incubators and brooders are such a pain to deal with.

I'm kinda wondering if she is one of those hens that would take any baby you give her. I have a batch of BSL eggs (New Hamp over Dom/Dom crosses) in the incubator now. These chicks are BSL (Black Cochin over Dom/Dom crosses), not at all related to the Buff Mama. So I wonder if she would take them in since will look like her previous babies (minus the feathered leg).

If a hen is not actively broody they won't adopt.
Bitty was murderous to new chicks unless she was broody. When broody I could give her anything near egg shaped and she would stuff it under ( gave her a rock lol). I gave her chicks after 3 weeks of being broody and she was the happiest thing ever.

Back
Top Bottom