How long will a rooster lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckychick, Jul 4, 2008.

1. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    This may be a stupid question. This morning I let my chicken out of their coop and they all came running, flying, galloping out like they were escaping death or something. I know my polish rooster has been getting rather "randy" lately but has still not been at all aggressive toward anyone, still the gentlman. Well this morning he comes out and starts chasing the girls around and he grabbed my white frizzle and she layed down and he climbed on. My question is, how long does the mating actually take a rooster to do? It only seemed he was there 10 seconds. None of my hens are laying yet even though it should be any moment for my frizzles, silkies and polish. If she layed down then she must be that much closer to laying right? I should be checking the coop closely now?

I am soooooooo ready for my first egg and getting soooooo excited about it. I just wish it was now, lol.

Happy 4th of July everyone!! Be safe and play pretty [​IMG]

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Nah....

Too easy.

:|

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My roos are more like 2 or 3 seconds..... You got a studly boy there [​IMG]

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Ok, maybe it wasn't exactly 10 seconds but it felt like it, lol. He is kinda studly looking don't ya think? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Great looking rooster!! I wonder since my husband is Polish... would he be more inclined to have chickens if I got the Polish type??? hmmmm... They have funny hair dos to be sure... or is that a "feather do"??

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I can't decide if he looks more like rod stewart or Billy Idol [​IMG]

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    It only takes a second or two for the roo to do his duty and since your girls are squatting for him I'd say it's about time to be looking for eggs! The first ones are alway soo amazing. Btw- very nice roo! [​IMG]

8. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I was able to talk my men-folk into chickens because they thought Polish look like "Alien vs. Preditor"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by