How long will chick starter last me

rstang88

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Byfield, Ma
Hi everyone! loving the site. I have 30 chicks less that a week old. How long will a 50lb bag of chick starter last me? just trying to stay prepared. I'm obviously assuming that they will eat more and more as the weeks go on. thanks again.

A week? Maybe two depending on how much they toss around and throw all over your carpet.

Till it 's all gone. Seriously not long for 30 chicks. I would just watch and when you get to the half bag left, go and get some more. You will go through alot before you make the switch and even then you'll want to mix the starter and new to make the transition. One thing I learned is if you start w/ crumbles and then try to switch to pellets it won't be easy. Point being what ever you start w/ you'll want to keep the same style w/ the new feed. Though I expect someone will pipe in w/ an exception.

All the best

Rancher

According to Gail Damerow "you can expect each chick to eat approximately 10lbs of starter ration during its first 10 weeks of life"
pg. 233 of the Storey Guide. I had to find that for myself today too.

add a suppliment of guiness available from a dropper bottle, ive heard this works great!!

j/k

Quote:
leave it to you. And beside the Guiness won't be ready for another week or two, and even then, I'm not sharing!! They can get their grain consumption somewhere else.

Quote:
Thanks. never would have thought to mix for a transition. Yeah, I expected I'd be flying through it. I have 2 50lb bags now, so I'll see how far it gets me before I switch to the next layer formula.

Quote:
Thanks. never would have thought to mix for a transition. Yeah, I expected I'd be flying through it. I have 2 50lb bags now, so I'll see how far it gets me before I switch to the next layer formula.

You won't be switching them to layer for many, many weeks yet. You'll be buying a lot more starter/grower before you're ready for layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom