1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will eggs Last?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redbarnranch, Jul 27, 2016.

1. redbarnranch

redbarnranch New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    Hello Forum!!,

I went out of town and when I returned and found my first eggs!! Yay!! My question is how long will eggs be good for? These eggs may have been in the nesting box for a few days, would they still be ok to eat? Thanks

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Mine last 2-4 weeks on the counter most times of the year, but in very hot weather that time is lessened.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Easily last a month on the counter if not washed. If you wash eggs they must be refrigerated.

4. redbarnranch

redbarnranch New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    I would think if they were in hot weather for 4 days, they would probably be OK?

5. Orp

Orp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    A question along the same lines: I usually leave mine on the counter until I have a full 12 then into the frig they go. This usually takes 3 to 4 days to collect 12. Today I took my dozen with me to pass on to an egg loving buddy. Unfortunately I had to leave them in the car for about 5 hours, pretty warm when we returned. Parked in shade in AM, turning to sun PM. High temp was 89 degrees. Are they save to eat? Scrambled, baked only???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by