How long will hawk keep coming back?

kellyjeanne

Chirping
Jul 19, 2016
Atlanta
My Coop
My Coop
We arrived home today to find a hawk eating our favorite bird inside the coop. We’ve not had a problem in 2.5 years and leave the birds out to range all day most days...they have lots of cover, super shocked that it went INTO my coop.

How long do I have to leave my birds cooped up or supervised range only before the hawk forgets they’re here?

We’re in a super urban area and a lot of neighboring properties (abandoned houses/overrun yards) are being developed, so I think they’re losing hunting ground and finally spotted our birds.

We have 3 dogs, but they’re not able to be out with the birds so they’re not LGD material...13 year old corgi? 9 year old Boston? 18 month old pit bull/beagle? Yeah, no.

Non-graphic picture:
E9163FC7-DF49-4F47-B577-2B2063D56D49.jpeg

Some hawks are migrating right now others are permanent residents in a given area. How long it will be around depends upon which sort this was. Bottom line is that it will be back tomorrow. Can you put a top on your pen ?

Had two flying overhead today. At first I saw one and I heard it making noise, then came the second one. I never knew they called each other until today

image.jpg

It is winter and they need a meal. During the summer I rarely see any. During the winter they are always hanging around.

Generally, a hawk will not keep coming to a particular location unless odds of getting eats are good. With a carcass present, prospects are currently very good. Closing up coop keeping birds in will shut access to your flock. Yet hawk may have reliable alternatives in area that does not involve your flock or chickens in general. If other options available, then you must play management options based upon hawk presence rather reliance upon what you can do.

We arrived home today to find a hawk eating our favorite bird inside the coop. We’ve not had a problem in 2.5 years and leave the birds out to range all day most days...they have lots of cover, super shocked that it went INTO my coop.

How long do I have to leave my birds cooped up or supervised range only before the hawk forgets they’re here?

We’re in a super urban area and a lot of neighboring properties (abandoned houses/overrun yards) are being developed, so I think they’re losing hunting ground and finally spotted our birds.

We have 3 dogs, but they’re not able to be out with the birds so they’re not LGD material...13 year old corgi? 9 year old Boston? 18 month old pit bull/beagle? Yeah, no.

Non-graphic picture:
View attachment 1598120
How awful for you

Back
Top Bottom