How long will I Get Small Eggs?

Wheels

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Milledgeville GA.
I have 26 br 21 weeks old. I have got 18 eggs from them in the last week. All have been small. I understand more then 2 or 3 or more maybe laying. How long will it be b4 I see some large eggs?

Last edited:
My girls are 28 weeks old, and all were laying by 22 weeks. The eggs are what I would consider medium, but they have gotten larger. I've been told by the second year (after the first large molt) the eggs will be full sized.

Mine have been laying for about three weeks now. I have five laying, I think. They have gradually gotten bigger. Ever so slowly. It happened to gradually that I didn't notice until recently that they are getting to storebought size. Now I would say they are medium to large. My layers right now are SLW, Black Australorp and Partridge Rocks. I have a few more that are showing signs of beginning to lay...checking out nests, squatting etc, so I guess it will be easy to tell when they lay. I think the minis are so cute even though it takes a few more for breakfast and dippy eggs are a little tricky.
droolin.gif

Mine are about 24 weeks now I think, the earliest ones started laying about a month ago and most of the eggs are still pretty small.

However, I have noticed that my two Red Stars (from McMurray, hatched 4/2/10) started laying big eggs really quickly - they both started with about a medium egg and within a week or two were laying eggs large enough to fit perfectly in a carton. No weird eggs or double-yolkers from those two either, and they lay virtually every day - I think they take a break every 2 weeks or so. Would be interested to know if anyone else's MM Red Stars are the same, I'd be tempted to add more next year if so.
smile.png

Our Jersey Giants started to lay about three weeks ago. At first, their eggs were graded as "small", but actually more the size of the golf ball in the nesting box.
big_smile.png
I've noticed a steady increase in the size of their eggs so that yesterday most of the eggs were graded medium to large. Bruce

I have ISA browns from Townline. A few of them started laying in July at about 18 weeks, the rest in August. They are now almost 25 weeks old. I noticed they started laying USDA sized large eggs consistently about one week ago. It seemed to take forever. But I also added a bit of animal fat into their kitchen scraps over the last few weeks and I think that might have helped. Chickens are omnivores and I don't go along with the Purina thing of a vegetarian diet. But since I can only get Purina foods in my immediate area... you can add animal fat with meat scraps from leftovers or buy a small tub of lard (near the Crisco in the baking aisle at the grocery) and put a few dabs in the bowl of kitchen scraps each day.

My girls were laying at 5 months. At first they were small like golf balls and gradually got bigger. The first dozen bigger ones we got each had double yolks. Very strange. Now we getting medium to large size single yolks. YUM
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom