How long will it take for new chicks and old chicks to intergrate?

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
We have some new chicks that we put out in our small coop today, they have their own run, but it is just 3 of them. They are almost 7+ weeks old. Got them from TS but not sure of the actual age. Their coop and run is attached to the bigger coop and run that my 2 yr olds, 1 year olds and 9 mon old is in. I don't really remember how long it took for me to intergrate the 2 year olds and the 1 year olds (the 9 month old was born into the flock). We need to make this a fairly quick move because we have a duck and 5 bantams that will need to go into that coop in a few more weeks.

So will 2 or 3 weeks be long enough? When should we start letting them out in the yard together?

Oh wow, hope it doesn't take that long. One of our ducks and 5 bantams will be ready to go out in about another week or so. Then we have 2 more ducks that are a good 5 more weeks before they will be ready.

You can expedite the process with the use of a "panic room", any kind of enclosure that will accommodate just the smalls and not the bigs. When they have a place they can run into for safety, where their food and water is available to them without being chased away, then they can actually co-exist rather well with the bigger members of the flock. They can move into the coop with the bigs as long as you assist them with a little refereeing at roosting time.

If you free-range, you can still provide such a safe zone, but it's easier in a run, I would think. But the objective is to give the smalls a place where they can find safety when needed.

As for how old the chicks might be, they are usually four weeks old when they appear all feathered and no down.

thanks for asking the question, I had the same one. Ours are very close in age but still enough to make a difference. We have 6 four month olds and 3 one month olds and a duck that we would like to intergrate. they have been free ranging together but have had some occasional pecking and feather pulling.

Back
Top Bottom