How long will it take to adjust?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I have three girls (two BRs and an EE) who are 7-8wks and two (RIRs) who are about 4wks. I put them out to free range in the yard together and they do just fine staying in their own little groups. The couple of times I have had them in the coop together (to change the bedding in the brooder for the little girls), the older ones peck at them some and keep them away from the food and water. How can I get around that? I can't make a separate area inside the coop because they are almost the same size as my 7wk old EE who likes to pick on them, so there would be no way for them to get in but keep her out. Should I just put an extra food and water in there for a while? How long will it take before the older ones stop pestering the younger ones?

If you have a dog crate take the one doing the pecking out. Keep it out for a couple days. You shake up the pecking order when you put her back in. Watch the younger ones carefully. They can literally be starved to death by the bullies.

There are actually two of the bigger ones that cause a problem. So should I take those two out and leave the one older one with the babies for a few days?

Back
Top Bottom