How Long Will Mom Warm Her Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zephyr66, Jan 13, 2013.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    Hi all... I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to this. My hen just hatched chicks about a week ago. It's pretty cold here - down in the 20's at night but 60's during the day. About how long will momma provide warmth to the young birds until she is done caring for them?

Thank you,

Sylvia

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Until she is done caring for them. In the heat of summer, i've had one stop after 3 weeks, though that is pretty unusual. Even in summer 4 weeks is more normal and even longer is not unusual. My longest has been 9 weeks though by then they were too big to sleep under her.

What will happen is that the chicks will grow up in the cold weather. They will get used to the cold weather and feather out pretty fast. By the time they are five weeks old they won't need her to warm them. She may stay with them longer but they really won't need her.

3. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    Thanks for the fast answer!! And, hi to beautiful Arkansas from California.

4. I had a BA hen that stayed with her chicks and slept on the ground with them and they where pretty much fully feathered.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Several weeks, usually until they're at least mostly feathered. And when she does "wean" them, they often huddle together and keep each other warm for another few weeks, on the ground or on the roost.
    I have a broody, I swear she had a calender and broods her chicks for six weeks. After that, she's back on the roost and they're on their own!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by