how long will she be broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchicks, Feb 19, 2009.

1. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    One of my 2 girls has gone broody...how long will this last? By the way there is no rooster. I took her off her nest this morning, she ate and drank, came up to the house and had a few treats, but then it was right back to the nest. What can I do to help her get over this, and how long could this last? Should I keep taking her off her nest? I could put something over her nest so she can't get in, but could she find another place? We have 8 acres and they are free range with an open barn. Should I close her next and shut them in? Who ever answers and helps me I thank in advance.[​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    If the chicks hatch, she will be considered broody until she iready to leave them. a total of about 9 or 10 weeks

3. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    if you move her away from her nest she can always find a way back in or just make a new nest

4. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    There are no chicks to be hatched, all I have are the 2 hens. They adopted me, I'd never had chickens before. So what can I do for her?[​IMG]

5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Lock her off the nest and she will get over broodiness.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Breaking Up a Broody Hen
    As said, a good broody wants to work. Indeed, some broodies will set a second, or even a third, clutch of eggs in a season. But her willingness to do so may outstrip your need for chicks. Hens who go broody after you have closed the breeding season must be “broken up”—i.e., must be gotten out of the mood to incubate. Actually, management of a determined broody you want to return to productive work in the laying flock is much like management of a broody you are going to set: Isolate her from the rest of the flock, with feed and water, but in this case without a shred of nesting material. My broody boxes have a wire floor—if I take the nest box out, there is nothing suggestive of nesting.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you get fertile eggs from some close?

8. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    The best way that I have read about this situation in here is to place the hen in a wire dog crate with food and water and nothing more. I think you keep her in this crate for about 3 days? Anyone else know how many days? I don't think it has to be a small crate, my crate fits a good medium sized dog, so you don't have to be cruel about it, just dont put in any grass, staw, chips, shavings. Just the chicken, the food, the water.

If no one else answers as to how long, I would mark your calendar for 72 hours.

9. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Her nest is an old horses feed bunk, I can close off the top, so she can't get in, and I'll be home tomorrow so it'll be easy to watch her if she tries to go off somewhere else. I feel bad that she doesn't have fertilized eggs, is this frustrating and hard on her not to have babies? Again than you everyone!!!![​IMG]

10. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Thanks everyone, I closed off hwere her nest is and I shut them both in the barn for the night. I'll see how she is in the morning, hopefully she'll be better. When I took her out of her nest, she was growling, flapping her wings and being quite testy.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by