How long will they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by choven05, Jul 25, 2013.

1. choven05

choven05 In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Ix have 8 amber links chickens that started laying at 17 weeks. I get 6-8 eggs a day. My main questions is how long do they lay? I've heard some only lay for 2 years while others lay up to 5. Having hybrids, I dont know who to believe.

2. The truth is nobody knows.

A lot of factors go into a hen's longevity. Diet and general life conditions. My advice is to relax, enjoy your birds and what will be, will be.

I have had some of these high production birds live as long as 5 years and lay well through year 4. I've had some bad experiences and I won't lie to you, some birds get "burnt out" after a year, two years, or three years.

So, again, enjoy your birds. Take good care of them. These production hybrids are designed for early laying, heavy laying and laying a large egg. They are what they are. Each bird is also unique. What is true of most of them won't apply to ALL of them. Best wishes for your flock's good health and long life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: