1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will this %!@#@# molt last! They're not doing their job!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by willkatdawson, Oct 25, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I've been patient. I've feed extra protein and told them I understand why they are behind on laying, but now I'm getting frustrated. It's been 6 weeks of very low eggs numbers. Out of 8 hens I'm getting 3 amybe 4 eggs a day. The children eat those for breakfast and there's none left to cook with. The hens did turn a year old in Aug could that be part of the problem? I hate the thought of going out today and buying eggs especially because I spend good bit of money a the feed store the other day on feed, scratch, oyster, and shavings. Oh yea the eggs shells are really thin even though they always have free choice oyster crumbles. Is that a sign of molting also. Sorry for the rant.... [​IMG]

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:It is the time of year and changing weather, we went from 8 to 10 eggs a day to 2. They should start back up around Feb or March depending on weather. You could light their coop and bring production back up.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    More light helps. The available hours per day of light is what triggers egg laying.

Also, when I get frustrated and buy eggs, then, all of a sudden, the ducks decide to start laying again. Not sure what scientific process triggers that [​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, I'd add the light. Mine have finished a slow molt lasting about a month and we're back up to getting 10-12 eggs a day from 12 hens. My light is on from 5 am- 8 am, and we have a medium-sized window in the coop. The run is very bright though we'll put up snow boards soon, but it seems to plenty. Yes, thin eggs are often seen at this time as the hens put their energy into feather growth. Wild bird suet will speed it up and get them warm faster. I'm convinced it shortened our molt.

[​IMG]

5. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Thanks ya'll! I'm putting a light on a timer tonight.

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I need to put a light in my coop you think you have it bad HA I haven't seen an egg in three weeks from 16 hens and pol pullets!!!!

7. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    OK now I don't feel so bad... Sorry... I guess you'll be rounding up extention cords today too.... [​IMG]

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Yes I will maybe they will just start popping out eggs imediatly [​IMG]

9. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Thanks for posting this... I'm going through something similar - must be the time of year thing.

10. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    DH and I were discussing this just last night. Our pullets aren't laying worth a flip, but we also know from experience from years ago that when the daylight hours get shorter, the egg production goes way down. We also talked about building a brooder and rasing some babies that will be ready for spring turnout. He wants to get the same sort of lamps for both the henhouse and the brooder - the neat clip on kind that can be used for light or as a heat lamp. They aren't very expensive - and will produce whatever amount of heat/light desired just by using the right bulb. He's going to pick up a couple today. It will be nice to have light in the henhouse when I get home in the evening!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by