How long would it take to get fertil eggs if I rented a rooster?

Cyberous

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Hollister, CA (Nor Cal)
I used search but didn't find any info.
I hope its ok to ask this question here, if not please point me in the right direction
tongue.png

I don't have a Rooster and was thinking about having a hen breed next year, this web site offers stud fees at $3 day but just how long does it take to get fert eggs? Will the eggs that are close to mature get fertilized or do they need to be in the earlier stages of development?

http://leitzellreds.webs.com/ratesservices.htm

Thanks in advance!

Don

You'll start to get fertile eggs as soon and the roo starts doing his thing. Also, you wouldn't have to keep him too long because the hens will lay fertile eggs for a couple of weeks after the roo is gone.

A hen produces an egg about every 27 hours. So it depends on where she is in the cycle when the rooster does his business. If she laid an egg right before meeting the roo, the next one should be fertile. If she's just about to lay an egg when she meets the roo, tomorrow's egg will be fertile.

It's only $3 a day, so I'd purchase a couple of days worth of time.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Wow fascinating!

As a kid I remember processing hens with eggs in them and the last couple had shell (if I remember correctly) so I just didn't think the sperm would penetrate the shell but I guess it does!?

Thanks!!

Don

Yea but the problem is .. at least with my hens.. they take a while to get used to the roo and chase him off when he gets near them, I would think you'd have to have them together at least a couple weeks to get used to each other and let him breed them. But maybe I just got mean hens LOL

LOL, the sperm doesn't penetrate the shell....it gets to the yolk BEFORE the shell is put on....Be careful bringing another bird onto your property....make sure he's healthy, and you *may* have issues with the hens bowing down. Good luck!!!

Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to buy or borrow a roo, then sell him or give him away when you are done with him? There are roos here on Craig's List for cheap or free.

Last edited:
I've recently introduced a tom turkey to hens who had no male before. It took 4-5 days for fertile eggs to begin showing up. Not weeks. By a week every egg was fertile and at 12 days they went totally broody.

So umm yeah, unless it's a LAME roo, you can figure on a week, max.

And eggs that are fertile for about a month after. (Lost a roo and still had his colored progeny showing up in eggs laid 2,3 and four weeks later).

Back
Top Bottom