How long?

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
Does it take for predators to find your coop?

I just moved the girls out to the barn 2 nights ago. So far so good, nothing has gotten in. No signs of anything trying to get in. But I'm wondering if its just because they dont know there is chickens in there. Really unless they were walking by and heard or sniffed them you wouldnt know. But how long do I really have.

Its nothing but woods behind us, so we pretty much have every type of predator. I am hoping the smell of my dogs help keep them away. In the years we have been here, I have never seen a raccoon in our area, our trash has never been knocked over. We do hear the coyotes howl behind us once in a while though.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

ridgefire wrote
pretty much have every type of predator * how long do I really have.

Oh, just about the time everything seems all peaceable kingdom, mother nature will arrive and shred the curtain...

Predator-proof your chook's permanent digs and all will be well with the world. That is one of the two sure bets to be made in this game. The other sure thing is to wait long enough (six hours - six months...) and it will be KFC where the orders are served up alive and screaming.​

Ridgefire:

How long does it take?
Answer: The predators probably already know the chickens are there.

More correctly, how long do your chickens have?
Answer: Probably not very long.

Unfortunately, neglecting to provide adequate protection will soon result in a need to bury and/or buy more chickens..

We also live in a rural setting within 20 feet of a large wooded area, my wife's chicken coup/pen is located even closer. However, it was designed and built to provide protection against digging, climbing and/or aerial attacks. Even with my best efforts, I too know predators so I will still only say, "So far, so good".

Kentucky

If it's any help at all, it took about 3 months for predators to bother with my chickens. I think Kentucky is right, they knew they were there but I'm guessing they started to have a hard enough time finding a rabbit or something and decided to go after my chickens. I went from no sign or sound of a predator to 6 dead in two weeks from various different predators.

I had to move around my entire coop and change around the fencing etc. I'm not certain they won't come back but so far so good for now. It's been about two weeks and no more dead/missing.

I also live with nothing but woods behind me, I've got a whole slew of nasties around. I put out a trap to get rid of the raccons at least.

Tom

Last edited:
I live in the wilderness too. It took 3 days for the coyotes to learn I had chickens. No free ranging for my chickens anymore.

Nothing has ever tried to get into my barn at night. It would be pretty easy to just dig under the doors, but that has never happened. The coyotes grabbed my chickens in daylight, just a few yards from me. Be sure to have a pen for the chickens during the day or they will be history.

Last edited:
I live in suburbia with fenced walls, 13 wooded acres behind us (fox, coyote, raccoons opossums, woodchucks...). Chicks are still inside the brooder in the house, but litter goes in compost pile. It took 1 wk before the raccoons were sniffin' in the yard.

The dog helps alot, but I still sometimes ask DH & DS to "water" the fenceline.
wink.png

No guarantee, but it seems to deter them a little.

Well, we live out on the prairie with coyotes, raccoons, fox, skunk, weasel, hawks, etc. The second night that our chicks were out in their hen house we found raccoon feet marks (he had to walk through mud) up the side of the hen house and on the window sill!!!!

I've never lost a chicken to a predator however. We tried to build a very predator proof coop and run. We've never seen any signs of any predators around the hen house since that first time. But, I also have big dogs that do a fantastic job of keeping them away.

Back
Top Bottom