how loud are COTURNIX QUAIL roos

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pax12, Nov 29, 2008.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    how loud are COTURNIX QUAIL roos

2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    They are not loud at all.......They are a lot quieter than any rooster.....

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yep

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If you have ONE by itself, it is not loud. If you have MANY, then it can be loud. Their "crow" sounds like a gargled cat-call (like the guys do when they see a pretty lady... [​IMG]) and by itself is not bad. But you CAN hear them outside when they crow inside.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I LOVE the sound of my Quail roos. The make this mild cool sound that
    is nothing like a chicken.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine are as annoying as all get out!! I have 2 A&M's that are about 5 weeks old that have recently discovered they are both males. One has a habit of crowing all night long!! With my bedroom door shut and the door shut to the room they are in, and with the TV on, I can still hear them!! [​IMG]

7. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Mine were also obnoxious. I had five males and one hen in my livingroom, and the boys were all crazy. I got rid of two of the roos, got at least one hen for each roo (Tux wound up with two because I can't count), and two of the roos shut up immediately. My Italian then thought he was the king pimp of the hill and would crow about every 45 seconds all day, all night. I thought I'd somehow made a mistake and got another roo in with him, but no, it was definitely a hen.

He figured out she was a hen last week. I came home to find him staring down at an egg, looking at it as though wondering just how it got there. I could see him look between the hen and the egg and make the connection, and then he shut up during the night. Mornings are still quite exciting. When the light timer goes off, they all crow good morning.

It doesn't help that the button quail roo do their territorial peeping at random times - with four of them going off, it usually sets at least one of the Coturnix roos off.

They're much quieter than chickens or geese and I imagine that if they were outside, it would be tolerable. In the living room, not so much.

-Spooky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by