How loud are ducks compared to roosters?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NicInNC, Nov 21, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    We only have one rooster. My next door neighbor isn't thrilled with him, but he doesn't mind him. I'm afraid if I get two ducks that he'll start complaining about the noise. Just how loud are they? My rooster only crows in the morning when I let the dogs out, in the afternoon when I get home from work and let the dogs out again and usually in the late afternoon when he and another neighbors roosters have a crowing contest.

2. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    My ducks are quieter than my neighbors rooster and hens. My ducks talk when they see me, and get really loud when it's treat time at night. But.........I love the sound of them, I could listen to them 24/7. I was just talking to one of my neighbors today and he told me he loves hearing my ducks. To me, a rooster is more shrill or something, and the duck sounds aren't so startling.......I probably didn't explain that right! [​IMG]

3. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    What about call ducks? I keep reading that they're loud. I guess I'm trying to compare their noises to my rooster.

OT, but I can't wait to move. We're hoping to move in the next 2-3 years. DH and I both want more land. I don't want to live in a "neighborhood". I want to live in the boonies away from everyone so I can have whatever I want without worrying about neighbors.

4. cheekychick

cheekychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
    Muscovies are the ducks to get if you want quietness. I love my scovies for this reason [​IMG] as our geese are so flippin noisy even at 3am!!!

5. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Pekins are loud and at random times. There are times I cannot figure out what the heck gets her so excited. A loud honk-quack that doesn't sound lady like at all.

The Muscovy is quiet...almost too quiet. Some days I think she is plotting to take over the kitchen.

6. helkat

helkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    We have a call duck that is very loud at times...our khakis also seem to be noisier than the rest, too. They can definitely keep up with the roos!

7. barredrockmama

barredrockmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Our runner ducks are very quiet compared to our last rooster. They don't crow at 4:45am every day, and they don't attack people in the yard. They do make some noise, but nowhere near as loud or as often. (They also put my chickens to shame when it comes to egg-laying, especially this time of year)

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Muscovy's are very quiet ducks we also have Runners and they make much more noise.

Steve in NC

9. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    My duck Cocoa (not sure her mix) is just as loud as my jersy giant roos where. The entire neighborhood can hear her quack quack quack when she gets going. She is just as bad as then for timing also. She starts first thing in the morning right around sun up then she will start quacking threw out the day when something excites her. The other night I thought that something had got my male duck because all I heard was Cocoa quacking and quacking loud at about 9 pm. I went out to the pond and and checked on her and there was Cocoa and Ebony (male duck) sitting in the pond. We have vines growing everywhere and there are tons of crickets and they were cherping very loudly that night. I sat there and the louder the crickets got the more she was quacking at them. [​IMG] Silly duck. [​IMG] She has the same volume as the roos and vocal range just a total different noise.

10. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    I think ducks are overly loud in comparison to my geese and roosters. About on parr with the guinea hens with the ducks being louder at the food demand time. The drakes are super quiet though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by