How loud is a roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bryan8, Nov 8, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well i have a BB white turkey that gobbles non stop.....

My ee cockral is 20 weeks old and hasnt crowed yet. And i really want to keep him but dont want to upset the neibors. Im butchering the turkey soon beacuse he is annoying and i dont know if i can wait till the 22nd.

So how loud is a roo compared to a bb white turkey?

2. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Just standing by waiting patiently for someone to post "They keep a roo primarily for drowning out the aircraft traffic noise"

Different roos......different voices.... Some are not a problem, others will make you jump out of your skin.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    My roos never really crow all that much.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It varies so much. But I would say that my roos have all been louder, *when* they crow, than my BB Bronze turkeys when they gobbled. Some roos (notably Peanut, the first chick we successfully hatched in the homemade 'bator last spring) crow more or less all the time; others crow only seldom. Or anything in between. No way I know of to predict.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, who actually prefers turkey gobbling to rooster crowing, aesthetically.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't have any turkey's so I can't compare my roos to them, but I will tell you that a normal roo will crow quite loudly and do it all day long. I currently have 7 cockerels and it's a non-stop chorus outdoors when I'm out there. Every one of them wants my attention and it seems like they have a crow down trying to get it!

6. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    lol "Crow down"...well put

7. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Some breed crow too much, and some hardly crow
    It also depends if there are other roos in the area
    [​IMG]

8. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    I'd say it all depends on how close you are to the roo, but I'll pass on that [​IMG] One of my roo's starts at 4 A.M. and calls thru out the day, not really bad, neighbors think it's cool (so far) other roo is not sure of himself yet [​IMG]

9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    If you just have 1 roo and a little luck [​IMG] it shouldn't be too bad. I had a bunch of them and they crowed in competition but when I only had 1 roo, he'd crow maybe 3 to 4 times a day average and I don't think it's how loud but how often that is irritating.

10. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I found out/was told some EE roos are not that loud. I lucked out and got one of the quiet ones. Sounds like a muffled chocking roo crow. The hens are louder and if he is in the coop you can't hear him. A million dollar roo. Makes me laugh everything he crows but Rudy started crowing at 10 weeks & only periodically thu the day. Plus he is a handsome macho guy!

rocmoc n AZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by