How loud is a roo?

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
Well i have a BB white turkey that gobbles non stop.....

My ee cockral is 20 weeks old and hasnt crowed yet. And i really want to keep him but dont want to upset the neibors. Im butchering the turkey soon beacuse he is annoying and i dont know if i can wait till the 22nd.

So how loud is a roo compared to a bb white turkey?

Just standing by waiting patiently for someone to post "They keep a roo primarily for drowning out the aircraft traffic noise"

Different roos......different voices.... Some are not a problem, others will make you jump out of your skin.

It varies so much. But I would say that my roos have all been louder, *when* they crow, than my BB Bronze turkeys when they gobbled. Some roos (notably Peanut, the first chick we successfully hatched in the homemade 'bator last spring) crow more or less all the time; others crow only seldom. Or anything in between. No way I know of to predict.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, who actually prefers turkey gobbling to rooster crowing, aesthetically.

I don't have any turkey's so I can't compare my roos to them, but I will tell you that a normal roo will crow quite loudly and do it all day long. I currently have 7 cockerels and it's a non-stop chorus outdoors when I'm out there. Every one of them wants my attention and it seems like they have a crow down trying to get it!

Some breed crow too much, and some hardly crow
It also depends if there are other roos in the area
smile.png

I'd say it all depends on how close you are to the roo, but I'll pass on that
big_smile.png
One of my roo's starts at 4 A.M. and calls thru out the day, not really bad, neighbors think it's cool (so far) other roo is not sure of himself yet
roll.png

If you just have 1 roo and a little luck
fl.gif
it shouldn't be too bad. I had a bunch of them and they crowed in competition but when I only had 1 roo, he'd crow maybe 3 to 4 times a day average and I don't think it's how loud but how often that is irritating.

I found out/was told some EE roos are not that loud. I lucked out and got one of the quiet ones. Sounds like a muffled chocking roo crow. The hens are louder and if he is in the coop you can't hear him. A million dollar roo. Makes me laugh everything he crows but Rudy started crowing at 10 weeks & only periodically thu the day. Plus he is a handsome macho guy!

rocmoc n AZ

Back
Top Bottom