How many are breeding for Blue Australorps here in America?

This is my blue orpington rooster. Does his feather coloring seem ok? It seems to be some reddish tint in them.

Melissa,
Yes and No to your first question. You will get a Orp Aussie cross. It will take about 5 generations to get rid of the fluffy bottom and butt of the Orps to make it look close to an SOP Australorp. Also Orps have a shorter comb than Aussies and other subtle differences. The other problem is the red leakage into the black that we are all fighting. I believe the red leakage comes from the Buff Orpington genes further back.To give you the short version breed your crosses back to good looking pure black aussies and hope for the best in maybe 5 generations! I forgot to tell you to cull, cull, and cull to get anywhere with that mission.
Kurt

Last edited:
OK, so if I breed the blue orp with a black orp will that help get rid of the red leakage in his feathers?

OK, so if I breed the blue orp with a black orp will that help get rid of the red leakage in his feathers?
Yes, but it still takes several generations of breeding to kill the red leakage and it may still come up any time in the future on a single bird. Then again, do we know what was bred to make the blue Orp in the first place. People do not normally realize how complicated and onery that blue gene can be. It is far harder than just throwing two birds together to make a new color. Hope that helps.

A splash has 2 blue genes.
A blue has 1 blue gene and 1 black gene.
A black has 2 black genes.

Blu X Blu = 50% Blu 25% blk 25% splash
Blu X Splash = 50 Blu 50 Spl
Blu X Blk = 50 Blu 50 Blk (better darker blues)
Blk X Spl = 100% Blu (however the blues are lighter in color)
Spl X Spl = 100% Splash

Kurt

Thanks, that helps a lot! I have some eggs under a broody hen right now from him and my black orpington. I plan on keeping them anyway, so it really isn't a big deal but hopefully breeding through several generations will help clear that red up!

Hi All...

I picked up this hen at a local auction last year. She and her pals were labeled as blue astralorps, do you think she looks the part?

She's one of my yard birds, so her lacing fades with the sun. Her legs are slate colored, you'd see that if I'd mow my weeds. Her comb seems enormous to me, but I've only recently started paying attention to actual breeds instead of just growing out meat birds.

Thoughts? Critiques? I've shown critters for years and have a very thick skin, so feel free to pick her apart so I can learn.

SF - It make's me wonder what her other half is. This is my Andalusian/Australorp hen, 18 weeks old. Andalusian's are known for their large combs, and while this hen still has obvious time to grow her's, she's showing a lot of Australorp characteristics and looks a lot like her mom.

Over the last 3 years we here at Hupp Farm in AZ. have been developing and documentating all our efforts to create Blue Australorps in order to get the Variety accepted into the "STANDARD OF PERFECTION."

We hit a stumbling block this year loosing our best breeders both Black and Blue for our project. Lucky for us we have youngsters that are healthy and we will begin breeding once again this time next year.

We would like to keep tabs on any to become serious breeders who will document their efforts for 5 years. We need at least 5 breeders who will do this but the more the merrier!

The A.P.A. requires this in order have sanctioned Blue Australorp Meet.

Let us know where your from and how long youve been breeding for the "Blues."

Have a Good Hatching Season!
Chet & Berta

HI we are in Bisbee AZ, I just saw your post & we are very intrested in Blue Australorps, do you have any for sale .? or we might be able to help in some way we are retired and can spend full time on efforts to help foster this breed , im not sure what it takes to become what is called "serious breeders" but i am offering to see if we could do what ever it is to help out , so let me know, ive bred & raised champion dogs & horses in the past and do know just how important it is to keep the blood line pure ,i have a great love for chickens and raised them in 4 different states over the last 50 years, take care and thank you for you time , kindest regards Dianna : )

Last edited:
Good coloring! you can see the pinched tail and if your going to breed to create Blue Australorps, that is at trait that needs to fan out as close to the standard to blacks as possible, also you want to have white skin under the feathers and pinkish white on the bottoms of the feet.
If your just having fun with your birds? enjoy them!

Back
Top Bottom