how many are expected to die?

no, they arent making the alarming sharp cheeps. they are running, flapping, and doing things little fatty babies love to do. i dont think its a sick thing.

DH says the first night someone shut the lights off* i could kill that person with no name*--- i think it was.. HIM!

the 52 chicks have one heat light

the original 103 have 2 heat lights.

Cool here for right now.. is 60-73.. sounds ok.. but its been rainy and icky.

they are in an all wood brooder that is 2 feet high, covered by a chicken wire top to ward off any observers that wander in. no observers have been observed.. luckily.

i do fairly well on chicks myself im just wondering about these little guys.

Ive only lost a handful of chicks in the whole time ive had some ( 2 out of 25 polish) ( 1 out of 15 that i hatched, but it was because my daughter dropped it and the yolk went boom) and 2 or 3 others out of a huge bunch dh brought home 16 weeks ago-- due to the plastic bin-brooder being under the garage addition which had a leak and water got in!.

Jeez, after writing it all out i think Dh needs to leave my chicks alone! LOL!

If I had 52 CX chicks and thougth they needed a heat lamp due to weather I would definately have two heat lamps so they could spread out, I would also have three waterers spread out.

We lost 30 the first time we bought chicks, still not sure why, perhaps never will. All died within the first day, looked like they were having tiny heart attacks.
sad.png

Just got 100 chicks again last week, everyone was super healthy, then the other day my moron of a step-brother left the door to the coop open for five hours while he rode his horse and a fox got in and killed 32 of the chicks. He is ignoring me now because I want my 60 dollars back, not to mention the hundreds those 32 were going to make me. Also not to mention my poor babies dying like that
hit.gif

Hi, we are also new to chickens and got our first 12 broilers 6 days ago. We have lost 3 so far and we don't know why either. 2nd day we lost one and 4th day we lost one in a.m. and one in p.m. Is this normal for this breed?

Back
Top Bottom