Lavender
Sky
Midge
Pertelote
Sunshine
Horizon
Mr. Presley (A silkie roo)
Octavious

I typoed up there. I only have 17 XD sorry. I gave some mix matched roos and skitish hens to a friend so that I could downsize so I'm still getting used to that. Having a small flock is so much fun and you can make them special treats like fermented feed with out it going bad :)

LOVE IT!!
Milly
Mable
Margaret
Faith
Hope
Minerva
Ginny
Leia
Penguin
Lavender
Sky
Midge
Pertelote
Sunshine
Horizon
Mr. Presley (A silkie roo)
Octavious

I typoed up there. I only have 17 XD sorry. I gave some mix matched roos and skitish hens to a friend so that I could downsize so I'm still getting used to that. Having a small flock is so much fun and you can make them special treats like fermented feed with out it going bad :)

Hey, we both have a Penguin!

How many chickens do y'all think could fit in a coop like this? I know that the fencing is improper. It's a friend's coop.
I see 5 nestboxes.
If the nestboxes are 1 foot wide, then the coop is 5 feet wide.
The other dimension looks narrower, so maybe 4 feet.

A coop 5 feet by 4 feet would be large enough for 5 standard-sized chickens, allowing 4 square feet per chicken.

(If you actually measure the coop, it may turn out to be a different size, so it could house a different number of chickens.)

Someone mentioned the chicken wire is not safe. I've always used welded wires that Coons can't reach through and strangle any chickens. But I was wondering if it's okay to use some chicken wire since welded wire is so costly and hard to work with.
I know that the fencing is improper. It's a friend's coop.
If hardware cloth (welded wire, 1/2" holes) is not an option, I would make a run with welded wire with larger holes (like your friend's run) instead of chicken wire.

If the run has no roof, I do not think it matters whether the coon can reach through the wire, because it can just climb in the top.

If the run does have a roof, a coon can only reach a certain distance through the large holes of the wire (maybe a foot or two.) But the sturdy wires keep out the body of a coon, and all of a dog. Chicken wire can be ripped off to let the whole coon or the whole dog into the run.

I would use hardware cloth for any openings on the coop itself, and shut the chickens into the coop during the night, because chickens are much more vulnerable while they are sleeping.

I see 5 nestboxes.
If the nestboxes are 1 foot wide, then the coop is 5 feet wide.
The other dimension looks narrower, so maybe 4 feet.

A coop 5 feet by 4 feet would be large enough for 5 standard-sized chickens, allowing 4 square feet per chicken.

(If you actually measure the coop, it may turn out to be a different size, so it could house a different number of chickens.)

If hardware cloth (welded wire, 1/2" holes) is not an option, I would make a run with welded wire with larger holes (like your friend's run) instead of chicken wire.

If the run has no roof, I do not think it matters whether the coon can reach through the wire, because it can just climb in the top.

If the run does have a roof, a coon can only reach a certain distance through the large holes of the wire (maybe a foot or two.) But the sturdy wires keep out the body of a coon, and all of a dog. Chicken wire can be ripped off to let the whole coon or the whole dog into the run.

I would use hardware cloth for any openings on the coop itself, and shut the chickens into the coop during the night, because chickens are much more vulnerable while they are sleeping.
Thank you! This is very helpful! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom