How many birds per nestbox?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mickey Lou 04, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    How many birds per nestbox?

Thanks in advance,
    Mickey Lou 04

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Usually 1 nest box for every 3-5 hens.

3. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Okay thanks!

4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN

5. annagarret

annagarret Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    I have 3 nesting boxes and 3 hens. They ALL share the same box [​IMG]. I think they just take turns going in there. Maybe it's by pecking order...IDK [​IMG] They never cease to amaze me....Good Luck!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Six hens and two nesting boxes. Only time one of them is used is when my black hen goes broody so the others are forced to use it. It seems two nests is a minimum for just that reason. I've had up to 9 non broody hens and only on occasion (one egg every two days or so) did the other box get used due to hens not able to wait their turn.

7. annagarret

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    No...IDK how they organize it in their little heads. They all seem to lay between 12-3 pm. A couple times I have found their eggs in the corner of the coop OUTSIDE of their box. All 3 eggs are always together. I think they play follow the leader...[​IMG] My first flock, I have since lost, didn't do this.

8. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I have 9 nest boxes for 30+ chickens- they ALL used the same nestbox on the very end. The eggs were constantly getting cracked from all of the traffic of hens getting on and off. I finally had to separate my coop into sections- each section has 3 nestboxes- and guess what....they still all lay in 1 nestbox per section.

9. annagarret

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    That is so cute! [​IMG] I guess in a chickens mind it makes sense...they have their water area, their food area and their egg laying area...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Dwells

Dwells Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    I have three nesting boxes and three hens. California White, Buckeye and a Delaware. They all used the one box when three were available at first. I was worried about egg breakage even though I hadnst experienced it yet. I put a wood egg in each box for a couple of months, now they all have chosen a box and each lay an egg in their own little box. Chickens will be chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by