How many birds per nestbox?

I have 3 nesting boxes and 3 hens. They ALL share the same box
idunno.gif
. I think they just take turns going in there. Maybe it's by pecking order...IDK
hu.gif
They never cease to amaze me....Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Six hens and two nesting boxes. Only time one of them is used is when my black hen goes broody so the others are forced to use it. It seems two nests is a minimum for just that reason. I've had up to 9 non broody hens and only on occasion (one egg every two days or so) did the other box get used due to hens not able to wait their turn.

No...IDK how they organize it in their little heads. They all seem to lay between 12-3 pm. A couple times I have found their eggs in the corner of the coop OUTSIDE of their box. All 3 eggs are always together. I think they play follow the leader...
idunno.gif
My first flock, I have since lost, didn't do this.

I have 9 nest boxes for 30+ chickens- they ALL used the same nestbox on the very end. The eggs were constantly getting cracked from all of the traffic of hens getting on and off. I finally had to separate my coop into sections- each section has 3 nestboxes- and guess what....they still all lay in 1 nestbox per section.

I have three nesting boxes and three hens. California White, Buckeye and a Delaware. They all used the one box when three were available at first. I was worried about egg breakage even though I hadnst experienced it yet. I put a wood egg in each box for a couple of months, now they all have chosen a box and each lay an egg in their own little box. Chickens will be chickens.

Back
Top Bottom