How Many Breeds in Small Flock?

Dreammaker

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
MA
Hello BYC! As we near completion of our coop and run (WOOHOO!!!), I am preparing to get our birds. I found a breeder eith about a dozen kinds who is willing to let us pick them out and hold them for us until we are ready to pick up! They're 14 weeks old. We would like to get 6, since we built our coop (30sqft) to accommodate 8 max. So, if we lose some of the original 6 and we replace, we have wiggle room between 5-8 birds. Seems reasonable

Question: Is it better to stick with 2 or 3 breeds in a small flock or does it not matter? If we had 3 _____'s, 2 _______'s and 1________, would the 1 outlier get bullied?

For those with all the same or only 1 or 2 breeds, how do you tell who's laying or not?

Thanks!

If you chose one of breeds that lay different colour eggs (light brown, dark brown, blue, green, white, pink) you'll know who's laying :D

If you chose one of breeds that lay different colour eggs (light brown, dark brown, blue, green, white, pink) you'll know who's laying :D
Good point.

My choices are:
Lavender Orpingtons
Mystic Marans
Silver Spitzhauben
Speckled Sussex
Light Brahma
ISA brown
Olive Eggers
Speckled Sussex
Mosaics

Priorities are calm, quiet, good layers, easy care, bear confinement well. I'm sure they all more or less fit the bill, but hey, if anyone wants to design my flock, feel free! I can't decide!

Given your choices, I would personally avoid ISA Browns if being pets is a priority. They are prone to having reproductive issues and short lifespans due to the large number of eggs that they lay. I'm partial to Orpingtons and Brahmas myself :) Orpingtons in my experience have been a bit louder than the Brahmas, but both are such sweethearts

I have a flock of six, all different breeds. They all seem to get along pretty well. The two fluffiest are vying for the top hen role, which has been a bit amusing to watch (these two girls are an extremely puffy Easter Egger and a Salmon Faverolles).

Given your choices, I would personally avoid ISA Browns if being pets is a priority. They are prone to having reproductive issues and short lifespans due to the large number of eggs that they lay. I'm partial to Orpingtons and Brahmas myself :) Orpingtons in my experience have been a bit louder than the Brahmas, but both are such sweethearts
Thanks. I have heard this about "production reds," and wasn't sure if ISA Browns fell into this category.

Have only heard good things about Brahmas. Are the hens crazy big though or just a little chonky? 😁 I worry about space with them.

Well they do say birds if a feather flock together! Having said that I have only found that to be true with my Wyandotte flock. I personally (as other have said) I like to have different birds that lay different eggs as it helps me keep track of them. I feel it helps me identify problems sooner.
Id like to also note for the Wyandotte peeps out there, I’ve put many different breeds with mine and they’ve never been picked on, mainly ignored so I wouldn’t put anything alone in with them but with a second group it’s never been an issue.

Thanks. I have heard this about "production reds," and wasn't sure if ISA Browns fell into this category.

Have only heard good things about Brahmas. Are the hens crazy big though or just a little chonky? 😁 I worry about space with them.
I have a mixed flock and they all get along fine, even the bantams with the big lavender Orpington rooster. Brahmas do get pretty huge! I think it would depend on what size the parent Brahmas were…might help you get a feel for how big they will be. I have Orps, Wyandottes, Marans, Ameraucanas, Cochins, a Welsummer, and two silkies and they all get along well and aside from the rooster—they are all pretty quiet and content with coop and run life. I don’t have a ton of space so they have lots of time together haha. I agree that different colored eggs is helpful and fun :) Your choices seem pretty good, but I’m partial to the Orps myself! I have 4 and they’re all good with my kids, good with the other chickens, and quiet.

Back
Top Bottom