1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many broody days until new chicks can be put under hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lyranonamous, May 21, 2016.

1. Lyranonamous

Lyranonamous Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2013
    I apologize if this question has been asked but I didn't quite know how to phrase the question to search for the answer.

I have a broody Australorp who raised chicks for me last year. She is a great mom and beginning to go broody again.
    How many days does she need to be in the "broody mood" and sitting tight until I can put chicks under her?
    I realized chicks would normally hatch in about 3 weeks but would she know if I put chicks under her in 2 weeks? 6 weeks?
    Last year I didn't pay attention to how long she was broody before putting chicks under her so it could have been 3 weeks or it could have been a lot longer......

I'm asking because I might be able to get Speckled Sussex chicks from Agway the week of June 6.

I have been otherwise unable to find SS chicks. Our local hatchery is closing. If anyone knows where to find good quality SS chicks I'd love to know. I'm having a hard time finding them.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience the closer to 21 days or longer the more readily a hen accepts chicks. Experienced mothers are generally more flexible and will accept chicks somewhat earlier.

3. Lyranonamous

Nov 23, 2013
    thanks Sourland. I will wait a few weeks.

4. Lyranonamous

Nov 23, 2013
    One follow up question. If we buy chicks from Agway they will be a few days old when we get them home. Would we have a better chance of success with day old chicks sent through them mail? Agway has SS this week, but we are on a waiting list. So if someone doesn't claim their chicks by Sunday we can have them. I think that would make the chicks several days old because they have already arrived at the store. Or am I missing something.
    Would this be more risky than day old chicks? She was a good mom to the mail order chicks last summer.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The issue with older chicks is that they may not bond to the Mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by