How many can I fit?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ThePolishPrincess, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We're building a coop for a small breeding flock of Silkies (plan was for 5 birds) and I think I screwed up with my math. [​IMG] (In a good way.) My dad and I have already built out the frame and today he turned to me and said: "I think it's much bigger than it needs to be." It is very large. It's 6 X 8 and the height is about 4 feet tall. We went with the numbers 3 sq ft per bird, because although they're bantams, they're large.

-Winters are cold here in NY. They'll have a large run all year long, but probably won't want out in the winter much.

How many birds can I fit nicely without getting into trouble with feather-picking? I just need a number.

2. tylermckee

tylermckee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    16 at 3sq/ft per bird

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I thought. [​IMG] Wow, I really screwed up. But at least it's not too small...

Thanks.

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    You have 48 sq. feet. Since they will spend most of the winter indoors I'd give 5 sq. ft per Silkie. That's 9--maybe 10. Doesn't hurt to have extra room and a big run [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by