How Many Cc Of Tylan 50 Do Chickens Get? Help Asap

We have a pair of Mallard ducks, about 7 months old. The female suddenly became ill yesterday, not eating or drinking, not vocal (which she usually is very vocal) and moving very slow. Occasionally would cough once or twice and it sounded very wet like a person with pneumonia. They sleep in a small pond (kid’s swimming pool) that we have for them with a pump and a large settlement/bio filter setup. This morning she looked very weak so I took her out of the pond and she could barely walk. Took straight to the vet where she received an injection of 1.5ml of 2.7mg/ml of Enrofioxacin and an injection of Vitamin B complex. By time the vet saw her, she could not stand or walk anymore. Sent home with 20 Enrolfloxacin 22.7 mg and 20 Doxycycline 100 mg tabs to administer one every 12 hours. Also sent with Harrison’ Juvenile Hand Feed to force feed once every hour or two. 5 hours after returning home, she seems about the same with little or no improvement yet. Feeding is challenging, we are getting some in her but not as much as we were told to. We moved her inside out of the upper 90 degree heat which seem to help a lot since soon after arriving home, she was very hot and struggling badly. Her mate is very upset not being with her. Don’t know what else we can do. Pray she makes it!
Although we were having good success with the feeding after getting the hang of it and able to administer her antibotics I am sorry to update that she did't make it through the night....she passed away around 2:30 this morning. ........ Now we have to try to console her mate who keep looking and calling for her............

@grassgd , for my records, would you mind telling us how much she weighed? Knowing that might someone trying to dose with either of the drugs you were given.

Again, sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

We have a pair of Mallard ducks, about 7 months old. The female suddenly became ill yesterday, not eating or drinking, not vocal (which she usually is very vocal) and moving very slow. Occasionally would cough once or twice and it sounded very wet like a person with pneumonia. They sleep in a small pond (kid’s swimming pool) that we have for them with a pump and a large settlement/bio filter setup. This morning she looked very weak so I took her out of the pond and she could barely walk. Took straight to the vet where she received an injection of 1.5ml of 2.7mg/ml of Enrofioxacin and an injection of Vitamin B complex. By time the vet saw her, she could not stand or walk anymore. Sent home with 20 Enrolfloxacin 22.7 mg and 20 Doxycycline 100 mg tabs to administer one every 12 hours. Also sent with Harrison’ Juvenile Hand Feed to force feed once every hour or two. 5 hours after returning home, she seems about the same with little or no improvement yet. Feeding is challenging, we are getting some in her but not as much as we were told to. We moved her inside out of the upper 90 degree heat which seem to help a lot since soon after arriving home, she was very hot and struggling badly. Her mate is very upset not being with her. Don’t know what else we can do. Pray she makes it!
She weighed 1640 grams according to the vet receipt.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
1.64 kg = 3.6 pounds
22.7 mg/ml injectable Baytril was given once at 20.76 mg/kg
22.7 mg Baytril tablets were given at 13.84 mg/kg every 12 hours
100 mg Doxycline tablets were given at 60.98 mg/kg every 12 hours.

I have not used doxycycline, but I have used Baytril, and these amounts are definitely very close to what my vets have told me to use and what other vets have told other BYC members to use. So far the most Baytril I have seen prescribed here on BYC was 15 mg/kg twice a day, but it's usually ~10 mg/kg twice a day.

@grassgd , thanks again for providing this as I'm sure it will help many people figure out how much of either drug can be used in a similar situation. How is Louie doing?

More info on antibiotics here:

-Kathy

Last edited:
He is doing pretty good...we on the other hand are struggling trying to keep him company 24/7. I started an new post trying to figure out what to do for him....let him get over it, bring another duck in or find him a good home to be with other ducks.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom