How Many Chicken can I keep?

Connorrm

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Capital District, NY
So I have 11 Chickens left from my 12 I ordered. I have 2 Golden Comets, 3 PRs, and 6 Sp. Sussex (5 hens 1 roo). Their coop is 17 x 8 Feet. And their run is 30 ft x 20 ft. It's a 4 foot high chicken wire fence with plenty of posts and skirting for strength and dig resistance (I shut the door every night and I'm the only house on my street so stray dogs during the day aren't a concern).

How many birds can this hold? I don't want to fill it to capacity, but I would like some more color in the flock. I would like something Columbian colored or silver, maybe a black or two. I'm also wondering if people keep their birds in their coop all winter and just let them out on warmer days?

Any ideas? I would be adding only pullets, since I'm not worried about Fertility, and Tony, is such a good rooster. Currently they are 14 weeks old on the dot. So, I'm guessing they're "Chickens" now. They all cluck, though they are still sort of small. I can't believe that in a few short weeks the Golden Comets might begin to lay.

Any advice?

Quote:
You could probably fit around 30-40 chickens in there without overcrowding them too much. During the winter my chickens tend to stay in the coop when theres snow except for the occasional adventurous ones.

That seems like a lot...I'd like to get around 20 total I think
smile.png

So, I guess I'm all set then! Now, to just pick which breed I'd want. I'm thinking either some cochins, or brahmas. I wonder how well they lay. Sooo many decisions!

I only have 8, and that seems like a lot sometimes! The amount of POO generated by adult, egg-laying hens seems enormous! I love my chickens, too, but enough is enough. And they're all super-friendly. If I was to leave the door to the house open a little too long, they'd take up residence with me.
roll.png

Hmmm true. I wish I could just get one or two more. Maybe I'll pony up the extra money for the shipping from Meyer and do a Turken, a Light Brahma, and something Black.

Many people calculate 4 square feet per bird but I find that it's not nearly enough space. My largest coop is 12'x12' (144 square feet) and houses 18 laying hens. They also have access to a 12'x24' roofed outdoor space, in addition to their run and pasture. My girls get along beautifully, no feather pulling or fighting, and they look amazing. I attribute much of that to the ample space they've been given. I think your plan to keep no more than 20 birds sounds like an excellent one!

The general concensus is 4 sq. feet per chicken in coop and 10 sq. feet per chicken in the run. So your coop is 17 x 8' which is 136 sq. feet. Divide by 4 and you come up with 34 chickens. Your run is 30 x 20 which is 600 sq. feet.

Divide that by 10 and you get 60 chickens. ALWAYS allow for chicken math, so I would say to keep the girls happy max out your number at around 30 and you should have some happy chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom