How many chickens can fit in one nest box?

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Well in the large milk crates...4 can fit! Now while no one could move or possibly lay comfortably in those conditions, they did fit.
lol.png

I have two milk crates sitting upright with straw in them and this morning everyone wanted the two milk crates instead of the other nest boxes. So one crate at 2 BAs in it and a NHR trying to get in. The other one had 4 BAs in it and a SLW looking for an opening place to climb on in.

Silly Silly chickens! I will have to try to get a pic of these antics.

Last edited:
Thats how many I have found in mine. My rumpless arucana bantam, polish, a dutch and bantam cochin one time and another time. white rock, a ee, cochin, and mixed breed.

I have a wooden box, about 20"x 10" x 12" and its like one of those cars at the circus.. I have seen with my own eyes 10 bantum cochins, and 2 LF cochin poulets come out of it.. I have no idea how they don't sufficate each other.. I want to get video.. They do this every night..
The Mama hen is a buff cochin bantum and when I bought my 10 partridge cochin chicks I wanted a mother for them. The lady said she had a buff that was gonna die. She would not come off the nest and there had been no eggs for 3 months. The hen was full of poop, thin, and so broody she really was gonna die. I brought her home (paid 2.00 for her) and by that time the next day my heart mealted. She finely had the babies she so badly wanted.. and the chicks had the best mom in the world. Weaning is another issue.. That brings us to why there are 10 Partridge (6 mths old) in the next box with dear ol Mom.. The hen must have convinced the 3 other youngsters that they needed a mommy too, becuse they are also nesting with her. Good news is she is alive.. and I know will save any hatch I give her.. bad news is.. weaning the kids and now I have to build a new next box..

Last edited:
LOL dacjohns....it was about like that...alot more crowded in that milk crate with 4 big fluff butts stacked in there. I have got to try to get a pic of them at it tomorrow.

I went to visit my sister one eveing and they were running around like mad things, her husband had forgotten to let the chickens back into the coup, and it was dark.

They were searching everywhere and not a chicken in sight, then we opened the outside nest box and found all 10 crammed in there. lol.... not at all happy to relocated, they were sleeping happily, and I bet it was warm in there.

Jena.

Back
Top Bottom