How many chickens can I fit in my 16'5" by 16'5" chicken pen?

Pullet Press

Crowing
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
I have 15 chickens and 2 ducks in a 16 foot 5 inch square pen. It's really the only place I can keep my chickens without them bothering my neighbors. Do I have enough space in the pen for my chickens, and if so, how many more chickens can I humanely fit in the pen. My birds don't look crowded or anything like that, but I want to get some more chickens and need to know if I can.
Thanks in advance!

I have 15 chickens and 2 ducks in a 16 foot 5 inch square pen. It's really the only place I can keep my chickens without them bothering my neighbors. Do I have enough space in the pen for my chickens, and if so, how many more chickens can I humanely fit in the pen. My birds don't look crowded or anything like that, but I want to get some more chickens and need to know if I can.
Thanks in advance!
How large is the coop?
What is in the pen?
Can you provide pictures?
I'm not a fan of the "10 sq foot minimum" rule, especially if the space is being shared with other larger bodied birds. I prefer 12-15 minimum.

How large is the coop? It's a smaller one, maybe 4x3 feet. I know, I know, too small. I have 5 hens and 4 smaller chickens staying in it with some 10 week chicks staying outside. I will build a bigger coop.
What is in the pen? The floor is one half packed dirt/mulch and the other half is concrete. There's a tree in the bottom middle of the pen.
Can you provide pictures? I can, but the sun is just rising, so I'll have to wait.

1How large is this coop going to be? 2What do your birds sleep in now?
1: 7' square, I think. 2: 9 of them sleep in a (i think it's 3x4) prefab coop. Don't worry, they are out all day long. The other 6, 10-week olds sleep in a dog crate. I don't know how big it really is. Soon, I'll have to take them out of it before they are too big for it.

1: 7' square, I think. 2: 9 of them sleep in a (i think it's 3x4) prefab coop. Don't worry, they are out all day long. The other 6, 10-week olds sleep in a dog crate. I don't know how big it really is. Soon, I'll have to take them out of it before they are too big for it.
7x7=49=WAY TOO SMALL a coop for 30 birds!
I'm personally shocked that you have 9 birds in a prefab and they come out of it with both eyes and their scalps intact.

If you truly want to provide a proper home for your birds, you need to provide much more space. Unless you have a fully predator proof run attached to the coop you need to shoot for 4 sq ft per bird in the coop. That is a big coop for 30 birds.

Back
Top Bottom