How many chickens can I fit ?

BrettRogers716

Hatching
Jan 9, 2022
New to the chicken game, wondering how many I could comfortably fit.

The coop is about 7 feet long and the length of the outside run is about 12 ft long so about 19-20 feet in total and about 6 feet wide.

Attachments

• 8882CBE1-D1B4-48DE-BEB8-C638BB176A18.jpeg
    8882CBE1-D1B4-48DE-BEB8-C638BB176A18.jpeg
    910.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 53535438-F0CA-492C-8A69-7D6A98159007.jpeg
    53535438-F0CA-492C-8A69-7D6A98159007.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 563BF982-F1EE-4A3C-810F-18661E6ADFD4.jpeg
    563BF982-F1EE-4A3C-810F-18661E6ADFD4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Hi, and Welcome!

The 4 sq ft per bird in coop, 10 sq ft per bird in run, and 1 sq ft permanent ventilation per bird in coop (well above roosts)--means area that the birds can walk. You have to deduct for feeders, bins, and other things that take up floor space.
It is 4 square feet per bird in the run and 1 square foot per bird on the roost. I don't remember how many square feet for the coop. Have you ever had chickens before?
This is our first time having chickens,
Doing the math I can fit about 11 chickens in the coop itself. Seems a bit much but maybe I’m being over sensitive to them..

If you have never had chickens I suggest you start with 4 - 6. I also suggest you dont fill up your coop with your first batch. If you are anything like the rest of us you will get chicken fever and want a new breed. Or you want to hatch chicks. If your coop is already full you cannot do any of that. I speak from experience.

Welcome to BYC.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
6x7 is 42. Divided by 4 you get 10 (disregard fractional birds).

6x12 is 72. Divided by 10 you get 7 (disregard fractional birds).

Your run is your limiting factor here.

This article explains why these numbers are *guidelines* rather than hard-and-fast *rules* -- however you should bear in mind that these numbers are suggested minimums.

If you have never had chickens I suggest you start with 4 - 6. I also suggest you dont fill up your coop with your first batch. If you are anything like the rest of us you will get chicken fever and want a new breed. Or you want to hatch chicks. If your coop is already full you cannot do any of that. I speak from experience.

This is very good advice!

I should also say, since you're starting out, it might be better to put the maximum in at first, then sell a few extras (or if it turns out they need more space), because integrating/adding more birds later requires a lot of extra space, and skill. And, these are minimums, a lot of people double these.

Then, as others mention, chicken math might attack you, and you'll want more....

Welcome to BYC.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
6x7 is 42. Divided by 4 you get 10 (disregard fractional birds).

6x12 is 72. Divided by 10 you get 7 (disregard fractional birds).

Your run is your limiting factor here.

This article explains why these numbers are *guidelines* rather than hard-and-fast *rules* -- however you should bear in mind that these numbers are suggested minimums.

This is very good advice!
I should also say, since you're starting out, it might be better to put the maximum in at first, then sell a few extras (or if it turns out they need more space), because integrating/adding more birds later requires a lot of extra space, and skill. And, these are minimums, a lot of people double these.

Then, as others mention, chicken math might attack you, and you'll want more....
Thank you! Should the nesting box remain on top of the shelf or should it be on the ground

Should the nesting box remain on top of the shelf or should it be on the ground

The nest box position is flexible.

It needs to be lower than the roost so that the birds don't sleep in it.

It can be down close to the level of the bedding or higher as suits your convenience. I made mine rather high because I have a bad back and didn't want to have to bend over too much to collect eggs.

Back
Top Bottom