How many chickens can I have in a 6X10 ft coop?

norahsmommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
south bend area, Indiana
I am wanting to build a coop similar to this one.
18256_25962_picture_or_video_055.jpg

I think I am going to make it 6X10 based on the amount of scrap wood we have lying around. If anyone wants to share tips, I am all ears!

I also wanted to ask if I need insulation? I live in northern In. We get alot of crazy lake effect weather. It also gets very hot and humid in the summer 90+ and very moist sticky air
sad.png

6x10=60/4=15 standard chickens IF they have access to a run at all times

You don't really have to worry as much about insulation as you do ventilation and drafts. They will all huddle together to stay warm.

Quote:
That would be true if you're talking about the dimensions of the coop alone. The style of coop shown above is a combo coop/run. I think the whole thing, coop and run combined, is 6' by 10'.

The usual rule of thumb is to figure a minimum of 4 square feet per chicken for the coop, PLUS 10 square feet per chicken for the run. So maybe 4 chickens for a set up like the one pictured.

norahsmommy......that's a great design! We're in the process of building one very similar to it as well. Keep in mind, it's recommended to have 4 square feet per bird for the enclosed coop section, and 10 square feet per bird for the run section. If you're building this design, is the 6'x10' referring to the entire structure? If so, how big will the coop (the section on the left in the picture) part be?

For example: let's assume the dimensions of the entire structure will be 6'x10'. That means your coop will probably be 4'x6' (maybe), and a 4'x6' can sustain 6 standard chickens (a few more if banties).

I hope I made sense and didn't confuse you, lol. Sometimes things sound good in my head, but getting them out is a little more difficult, lol.
gig.gif

Good luck on the coop process, and keep us posted!

Quote:
You don't "need" insulation, but you might be happy to have it. If you insulate the roof, that can help in both winter and summer. I used radiant roof sheathing for my new coop...it only cost a few dollars more than plain plywood.

Be sure to put in enough ventilation, ideally high on the tops of opposite walls. Figure 1 square foot of ventilation per chicken, plus additional ventilation (in the form of operable windows, usually) lower down at roost height for summer.

That's a really cute coop/run. looks like it has all the bells and whistles. I wish I had it for my bantams....silkies....the ones I'm wishing I had
wink.png

Hubby is going to build me one like the one pictured. He was suggesting 8x12 feet, for about 6 hens. I am going to go and explain chicken math to him, and hopefully it makes sense - math is NOT my forte.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom