1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many chickens can I have?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenichick, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I know I've read this before. I looked but want to make sure before I go buy more. The fair is coming up next week and I might not be able to resist buying a couple more chicks.

My coop is 12x8 and my run is 25x25. I currently have 15 pullets and 2 roos. How many more pullets can I get if any??

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They say standard birds need 4 square feet of coop floor space and 10 square feet per bird with an added run. I try to give closer to 8-10 sq for the coop because we can get nasty winters where they are stuck in there for a day or more. Less space means more picking and uncomfortable birds, so I would consider that in making your decision.

According to your coop size, you have 96 square feet, which equals about 24 chickens (if you use the 4 sq rule). However, if it were me, I wouldn't add any more. They are already at about 5.6 square feet per bird now (with 17 birds). And with their outside run, it gives them optimal space to get away from each other if they like. But that's just my opinion.

Jody

3. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Thanks, I want an Americauna/Aauracauna and a couple of Silkie's. I may have to add on to the run, ha ha! DH would kill me if I said that. Sooo, maybe I'll just get one or two and trade off a couple of my rocks or sex-links.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea, I'm sure there alot of people on this board who have had to add extra living space for more chickens.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    If you do pick up some extra birds, please, make sure you quarantine them before adding them to your current flock.

Dawn

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    In fact, take a few to the fair and sell them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by