how many chickens can i keep

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jonbanks, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    i have a 4by 6 coop 6 feet tall and a 8 by 12 run attached i have 5 rhode island reds and 3 ee i want a few more chickens maybe 3 what do you think

2. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    4 by 8 coop at 6 feet all sorry lol

3. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

If you use the 4 sq. feet per standard sized bird, you are probably at your max now.

4. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Quote:Hey- does that mean he gets to plan a new coop? Fun! A project!

5. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    maybe ill add on , lol i just wanted to get two barred rocks. hey can anyone tell me how to upload pics in postings i can not figure it out

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    In the old days it was 2 sq feet per bird...that was the rule of thumb. I did it for years with no problems. It is more work though...alot more cleaning and making sure they have alot of fresh water/scratch to dig for and other treats to keep them pecking the floor instead of each other. I go by about the 3 square ft per bird now in the summer, sometimes a little less, but in the winter I have them indoors fulltime so they are given closer to four.
    If you find they are feather picking alot and not getting along you will have to change the plan, that's all:>)

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I went with the 4 sq. feet per standard sized bird. I am facing possibly a new coop as I have added to my flock, I have chicks in the nursery coop, no nest boxes. I can add nest boxes but part of it we use for storage. My existing coop is big enough and I have the nest boxes but need more roost space. My girls do have access to their run 24/7. I never close the pop door unless I want to keep them in or out for some reason. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by