How many chickens can this hold?

looks like the covered area might be something like sixteen square feet.

i live in a climate with cold winter days and nights, people have recommended eight to ten square feet per chicken

It looks like it will sleep two hens. The run would be extremely small to keep them in- I would give them a larger run.

You live in a cold climate, it looks like, where they will be living inside the coop when it snows. I'd give them a little more space, as that coop is only 30 inches wide.

It is recommended to have 4 sq. feet per chicken inside the coop PLUS 10 square feet per chicken in the run.

It is desirable to have more room than less in cold climates.

(It would make a nice growout pen though for smaller chicks!)

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is my thoughts, I am a newbie and several months ago I bought the ware chick n cabin. Not at all pleased. Look at the dimensions carefully. I would bet the Actual coop will be a tight 2x2. Good for one hen in my opinion. Also consider your climate, these are not insulated, I dont think. I am not that handy, but am about half done building my own. There is a lot of good advice on here.

Wow, that doesn't even look big enough for the two hens pictured. That's a lot of money for such a small coop and pen. Have you looked on craigslist for coops, or wooden playhouses? Most of my coops are converted playhouses. Just add a floor, hardware cloth over the windows, locks on doors and windows, nest boxes and perches (okay, now it's sounding like a lot of work, but it really isn't). In the end you will have a nice coop that will cost less and house more chickens that the one you are looking at.

For pens, i buy used kennels, then add a roof and hardware cloth around the bottom. You want to plan on more space than less, as you will probably want to add more chickens down the line.
wink.png

Last edited:
Chicken coops are SO expensive around here--nothing less than $600 or so on craigslist.

I'm terrified to build my own...but I'm glad I got the advice not to buy this one--it's obviously too small.

If anyone knows of any other, better, larger kits for under $500, please share!

Thanks
smile.png

Quote:
YES, you can! There are zillions of plans on BYC, spend some time in the Coop Designs area, link at the top of this page. Some have detailed plans. You can do it, it doesn't have to be pretty at first, worry about that later. Go for it!

Best of luck and huge encouragement from here!
thumbsup.gif

Kind of sad to see things like this chicken play pen... Really it is very undersized even for a couple regular chickens and way over priced.

I'd classify that as a lawn ornament more than a chicken coop. That kind of money can purchase enough plywood, lumber and hardware cloth to make a very solid and much larger happy home for a dozen chickens.

Like posted above, anyone with basic tools and ability can make a very servicable coop with the help of widely availible plans.

I spent about $500 on a fully 8x12 insulated coop/mini barn and am in the process of building a 8x16 tractor that will likely cost less than $300 which is less the electric fencer, battery and solar panel I will put on it.

Last edited:
Try googling amish coops.

Here is one- I haven't heard of this company and can't tell you if it's good:
http://www.myamishgoods.com/pro_details.php?proid=508&subid=1

Also, try craigslist for local vendors who can build you one and deliver it:
http://northwestredworms.com/Chicken.aspx

The above link is an example of a local vendor who sells to a feed store in the Portland OR area.

You might have a similar opportunity if you check craigslist.

Finally, I just wanted to add that another poster mentioned sheds.

Sheds are amazing coops. If you can get a shed, and insulate it yourself, presto!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom