How many chickens can you have?

I'm in Baton Rouge, LA
We can legally have 3 hens here- and I have 3 hens as of now.
Next month I'm adding four more ladies to the flock though. Don't rat me out lol
(my neighbors are too noisy themselves to complain about noise, plus my hens are pretty much silent, quieter than the wild birds, so i think i'm fine as far as complaints go)
my coop is 9x12 feet, unfortunately cant allow free ranging bc of hawks

I have 7 acres, no restrictions. But I have 10 hens and one roo. Enough eggs for 3 people and a few for the neighbors. One of my hens is brooding 8 eggs so we will see what happens. My coop is 10x8 with a large covered run and access to a small fenced orchard. I’m getting a small coop from a neighbor this week to be my brooder or sick pen as needed. Trying hard to control the chicken math but it’s HARD! :confused:

Haven’t read through the whole thread so this may have been mentioned before:

For Florida, as far as I can tell, the law says (for not having a permit) you can have 10 chickens for 1 acre (rounded). We have 4.7ish acres, which means we can legally have 50 chickens. But with a permit, it’s unlimited I think.

I can have as many as my coop holds, which is about 20, however, I live where forest fires are a threat so I don't keep more birds than I could move in a hurry. I'm trying to pare down to 8 hens (I have 10 hens and a rooster)but it will be awhile before that happens.

My coop is 4' x 8' plus nesting boxes (which i know don't count for living space). I keep between 8-20 free range brahmas at a time (14 currently). Egg production is through the roof right now and body weight yeilds are excellent.

We have 46 acres and are expanding our "farm" to include goats next month and hopefully horses before i get too old and decrepit to ride them, but our chicken population is limited to the coop. I have toyed with the idea of a 2nd coop and a 2nd flock but the wife has other priorities.

The recommendation of 4 sf per bird is good for coop & run configuration setups but free range birds spend little time in the coop except to sleep and lay so it has been no issue at all for me.

Isn’t it 1 bird per 4 square feet? That’s what I’ve been having everyone tell me.
Yes it is 4sqft when it comes to how big your coop should be in order for chickens to be healthy and get along. They are talking about town laws/ordinances, which use 1 sqft per bird to dictate how many you are allowed in theory.

We're on a small suburban block in Adelaide, South Australia. We can have as many as we like, provided the neighbours are not disturbed. We keep four for now but may expand to six in November.

I've heard there is a limit in ohio, something like 20 chickens per acre? I don't know, but no one cares out where I live. We're -very much so- a friendly and no questions asked kind of farming area. There are no renters out here, so it is your property and 'you do you'. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom