How many chickens can you have?

Pics
our county has stupid rules of 1 adult chicken per half acre up to 2 acres and 2 chickens per half acre over 2 acres. this is regardless of zoning (in town vs. agricultural). we have 1.5 acres in agricultural zone, so according to the county we can have 3 full grown chickens. i currently have 6 hens, 1 rooster and 6 chicks. i figure a chicken needs to be at least 3 years old before they are full grown, right?

Hi everyone!!!
🙃

I know there’s different rules depending on where you live. I was wondering if you guys have the max amount of chickens allowed in your area, or more or less?

🦀🦓🐛🦖🪲
In my city, the ordnance only allows for 4 chickens per home, and they actually check up so we can't sneak extras in even if we want to.
The cities around us have different allowances, for 6 or 8 chickens. We live in a suburban area.
Why do you ask?

I have it in my head that it’s one bird per square foot of housing, but maybe 4 square feet of run space?

Are you talking about legal minimums (like factory farms) or about what keepers on here recommend?

Legal minimum in many areas is 1 sq ft housing per bird - could be a cage in a building, could be a large commercial pen, etc. Most folks on here would never recommend raising chickens that way.

Back
Top Bottom