How many chickens do you have?

How many chickens do you have?

• Total voters
I suppose it really depends on the setup - but our flock does, yes. We have a very large lot, and the coop is in the fenced part of the backyard. The girls have a run that they can access during the day when we aren't home and any time we are home and outside they are allowed free access to the fenced yard. I, personally, can't imagine keeping them without access to at least a run. Still in progress in this picture but you can see the coop, run and part of the backyard.
View attachment 742382
I like it. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

[QUOTE="FlyWheel, post: 18503159, member: 409537"

I'd like to add an extra question to this poll....How many chickens were you originally intending to get? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yes!! Now, THAT would be interesting! :D

I have 26 in all. All Egglaying Hens. Started with only wanting 6. Well, we know how that ends. They are like potato chips, you can't just have one, lol. 6 Rhode Island Red, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 3 barred rocks, 6 buff orpingtons and 8 Light Brahmas. The funny thing is most of them don't match the standard behaviors of that certain breed.

I have in coop #1, I have 8 chickens:
4 Showgirl hens (1 is a cross beak "Little One")
1 red Sexlink hen "Red"
1 Bantam Cochin hen "Gray girl"
1 white Silkie rooster "Big boy"
1 Bantam Cochin? rooster "Dark One"

Within their run, I sectioned off an area for coop #2 for my 6 Khaki Campbell's ducks (all given to me by a friend who got in over her head). Later I'm building them they're own run. Im not sure of they're sexes yet, hopefully I've got 5 ducks and 1 drake.

Coop #3 has 22 9-11 week old chickens:
6 Black Australorps (3 hens, 3 pullets from what I can tell)
2 RIR (possibly roosters)
5 Red Sexlink pullets
5 ISA Brown pullets
4 Amberlink pullets
I'm only keeping 2 of these roosters (1 of each breed)

In a 4th coop, I have 3 pullets that are supposed to be Buff Orpington's. I'm going to put one of the rooster I'm keeping in with them once I get a larger coop and run built for them. I'm having 2 coops custom made for the ducks and the Orpington's by my youngest son.

The same friend mentioned above gave me the black Australorps and the buff Orpington's also. She still has 3 Pekin ducks and 8 pullets and/or rooster (no coop built yet and they're 5-6 weeks old. I'm waiting on the call to take all of them one day.

I can't wait for all my girls to start laying, I got a long list of people already wanting to buy their eggs.

Photo shows 2 of my chicken coops and the duck pen. I'm working today putting up netting over the top because we have chicken hawks badly.
20170526_142931.jpg

We have
1-Golden Comet (Nutmeg) 1 year
1-Golden Wynadotte (Nessie) 1 year
1-Ameracuna (Coop) 1 year
1-Lavender Orpington 2 weeks
1-Black Copper Maran 2 Weeks
1-Barred Plymouth Rock Roster 2 weeks
1- Speckled Sussex 2 weeks
1 Cream Legbar 2 weeks

We love these girls and pamper them like princesses. They have a beautiful coop with an acre of land to free range on. The young ones are still in the crate with the heat lamp but enjoy spending time in the garden on warm days. They already love taking dirt baths.

Back
Top Bottom