• Total voters
Pics

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I am not referring to chickens exclusively intended for meat, as they are usually only around short term.

We are measuring out space and comparing coop designs to build a new coop. My pre-fab coop was for up to 20 chickens but I have larger breeds so 17 has pushed the limits, and I still want more! When browsing designs the largest I've seen are for up to 30 chickens which got me wondering, how many chickens does the average person have?

I have five hens!

Some chicken owners might not be average people...:p
Oh man I should have said how many chickens do the average CHICKEN OWNERS have 😂

I just bought a tea towel from TSC that says "one chicken short of crazy" and I think that hit the nail on the head! 🤪 Except really I am already crazy for my chickens.

Everybody manages their poultry differently for different reasons and goals.
I raise an extremely rare breed and a closed flock so I hatch my own and never bring in new birds. I always have at least 20 birds. Normally it is between 40 and 100. I usually have about 5 roosters going into winter. I think I have 8 now. I'll have to go out and count.

I find that having at least 2 housing options is very helpful.
I also have never met a prefab coop that would house anywhere near the number of chickens they claim.
You'll find many housing options on the following page regardless of how many birds you want.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/
There can be many instances when one needs an additional place to keep a bird or so safe.
If one only has one coop, that may become a problem.

Everybody manages their poultry differently for different reasons and goals.
I raise an extremely rare breed and a closed flock so I hatch my own and never bring in new birds. I always have at least 20 birds. Normally it is between 40 and 100. I usually have about 5 roosters going into winter. I think I have 8 now. I'll have to go out and count.
What breed to you raise? I am keeping my old coop for breeding purposes. I have a Maran pair and several Maran/EE crosses and an Ameraucana. I’d like to make my own F1 and F2 olive eggers and pure bred Marans. I am starting small for now! The remaining flock are my “rainbow flock.”

I find that having at least 2 housing options is very helpful.
I also have never met a prefab coop that would house anywhere near the number of chickens they claim.
You'll find many housing options on the following page regardless of how many birds you want.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/
There can be many instances when one needs an additional place to keep a bird or so safe.
If one only has one coop, that may become a problem.
Most of the cops on there are either too unique in their design or not big enough. I want the option to hold up to 35/40 with a feed closet/broody hen safe haven or whatever else I may need the space for.

Back
Top Bottom