• 31-40

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 50+

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters
Pics
In my little brain cockerel barnyard mixes that may or may not make it to the stew pot could be counted but Cornish cross are so temporary that I didn’t think they should be counted as part of the regular flock. However, I was just asking a fun question and you can count what you feel should be counted as your flock. I have a rooster who may be destined for the dinner table but I counted him for now.
I get that train of thought. I haven't raised Cornish X or Freedom Rangers for a while but I would note those separately.
But since they usually hatch at a 50:50 rate, no one needs that many roosters. I can tell at hatch, some of those that will go to the butcher group, others take longer. Then by about 9 months I pare male numbers further, keeping the best for breeding.
I can't even think about eating my cockerels 🤧

I know....I know....:(
They taste just like chicken.

So for the people who did the poll, I would like to know what percent of those are inside city limits?

I hope people do have more, because it means that I could get away with more. I'm in city limits.
I'm within a city limit (barely). Several years ago there was a newspaper article about me and my chickens. Apparently I had been flying under the radar. The mayor freaked out when he read the article. He immediately said they had to make me get rid of my chickens.
He didn't know there were three other people on my road with chickens and he may not know to this day - his next door neighbor has chickens.
One of the other chicken keepers and a member of our region wide backyard chicken meetup group said, "Lets fight them".
We immediately geared up and packed city hall every two weeks and after a year, we won. Those of us who already had chickens could get a permit for the number of chickens we currently had (basically continue doing what we were already doing) for a one time permit fee of $50. I have a permit for 85 chickens and 5 roosters.
I didn't tell them that technically male chickens aren't roosters till a year of age. :oops: Soooo -

I wanted to add that my area is unlike most others around the country. St. Louis City and St. Louis County are legally separate entities. Discontent and what became known as 'The Great Divorce' between the two entities began in 1844. It came to a head around 1875 when several votes and recounts eventually made it official.
The city was asked to draw a line where they projected would be the limit of urban sprawl - yeah right! Everything beyond that line would be under county control, within that line would be under City of St. Louis control.
Obviously urban sprawl is never ending. The end result is a County that encompasses 92 separate cities. That makes regulation of chicken keeping a patchwork nightmare. Because all these cities abut one another so closely, it is feasible that one person may be allowed to keep 4 chickens and no roosters, their neighbor across the street can have unlimited numbers and no regulation for roosters and another neighbor at the end of the street can have zero chickens.
To the best of my knowledge, there is only one other city in the US with this situation where the city cannot annex new land from the county. I thought it was in Ohio or Indiana.
I have lucky 13! Seems to be the right amount, wish I could have more, but want them all to be happy in their space! :) But 4 of them are silkies, so they don't really count, right?:D
I call silkies fake chickens - especially when talking to a friend who has them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom