How many chickens for this coop?

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013
The coop I'm planning has approx 36sq feet in the run, and 16sq feet in the coop. I was planning on just getting some assorted straight run Silkies, so how many can I fit into the coop? This is the second coop I've built, so I'm bound to make some mistakes regarding how many chickens I'll get lol.

Last edited:
I can't free range because where I live things will attack them. Last time someone free ranged here a hen and a rooster were found dead after just 6 months of being free range.

As for were I live, it's moderately cold in the winter, and moderately hot in the summer. Plenty of grass and stuff like that. Nothing I can think of that would cause problems between the chickens.

I was going to order straight run, so how many should I order?

The coop I'm planning has approx 36sq feet in the run, and 16sq feet in the coop. I was planning on just getting some assorted straight run Silkies, so how many can I fit into the coop? This is the second coop I've built, so I'm bound to make some mistakes regarding how many chickens I'll get lol.

The rule of thumb for standard chickens is 4 square feet of coop space per chicken and 10 square feet of run space per chicken. That would be 4 standard-sized chickens with the space you have.

But Silkies are smaller birds, so you do not need that much space per bird.

I think 6 Silkies would be fine with your coop and run. Or, you could expand your space. :)

Back
Top Bottom