How many chickens in 10x10 coop with deep litter

Yes, just the coop or the coop and run?

Theoretically, a 10x10 coop can hold 25 chickens if they have an appropriate sized run. 10x10 as a run is appropriate for 10 birds. But I personally wouldn't put that many adults in there.

Have a look at my Camp Cockerel, which is built on a 10x10 picnic pavilion frame.

Just 5 half-grown cockerels have plenty of space even though they have no run:

0618220638-jpg.3163928

A dozen mixed-age cockerels is probably nearing maximum reasonable capacity.

0619222120c-jpg.3163931
0619222120d-jpg.3163933

Regardless of the manure management system, the usual space guidelines are still a good rule of thumb to begin with -- and then be willing to adjust according to how it works out for you.

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

As others noted, are you talking about coop strictly, or coop and run, or just the run?
the deep litter method. I want to use that method to compost things and keep it dry
One thing to clarify, if this is a true deep litter system you don't want it dry, it needs a certain amount of moisture to compost, which is why deep litter is more often used in runs instead of coops.

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.
Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.

Back
Top Bottom