How many chickens on how much land?

michiele

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Broken Arrow, OK
I was curious how much land everyone has and how many chickens?

I have one acre and am a newbie chicken owner. We only have 4 pullets right now - adding a few more next month.

I would say my birds range mostly in a 100-foot radius. Occasionally 150-foot and rarely beyond. There are plenty of grass, leaves and trees.

Where are all the urban people?

We have about .25 acre, and I'm going to get six chickens. I may give some away if that proves to be too many for the space.

ETA - I plan to have a fairly large run, and then let them free range part of the day in the backyard, which is probably 60% or so of the lot.

Last edited:
Urban chickeneer here...I have about a .33 acre total lot. I have 9 chickens that I freerange in the backyard, which is probably like a 100ft by 50ft rectangle.

I think the we are talking about free ranging the birds. There are plenty that keep their birds in secured runs 24/7.

I've wondered about this too.

We've got about 100 acres total but right now we've just got the one coop and run with 22 chickens. As soon as I can get BF to build more runs I'll add to the flock. I'm not a big fan of free range though because we there are a LOT of dogs that roam everywhere as well as bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, etc and I just couldn't stand chancing my poor birds lives at the moment. But that might be a "new mom" thing and once I'm a little more comfortable with the situation

Back
Top Bottom